The Russian proposal of 26 June 2001

Thank you, Mr Putin, for your rapid response to my query. The Russian
draft of 26 June 2001 is now at:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/russiadraftscr010626.html

It's quite, quite different from the UK and French proposals - Russia is
effectively proposing a simple, straight swap: an immediate ending of all
non-military sanctions and constraints in return for readmitting arms
inspectors. It's been considerably cut down from the 22 May
Russian proposal. Britain calls this "dangerous"; I think we can
effectively argue that anything except this is dangerous, both in terms
of Iraqi WMD development and for Iraqi wellbeing.

Glen Rangwala

Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
Free School Lane
Cambridge
CB2 3RQ
UK