Re: Lifting Sanctions on Iraq - dissident view PART ONE

Do you ask about Michael Rubin, the American scholar who spent some 9 months at
the three universities of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq? If so, no, I have no
relations with him whatsoever; and I had no opportunity to either meet him or
talk to him, though I would have liked to do so very much.

As for your previous posting:
Though I fail to understand which significance my answer to Miss Arbuthnot
question could have - why not: I have never been with an academic delegation to
neither Iraq nor the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. I have traveled in Iraqi
Kurdistan for the first time in 1963, stayed there for over 6 months in winter
and spring 1966/67 and have ever since returned to the area for shorter and
longer periods of time, as I did to Kurdistan of Turkey and Iran and other
parts as well. Since 1991, I have been working in the region or for it, since
1992 as an employee of the then newly created and still united Regional
Government, partly assigned to duty at the KRG representation to Germany. As I
said in the intro to my first posting to this list [the disputed article
"Lifting Sanctions...."], I have made my home in the region. And I dearly hope
that conditions will allow that this will last. Presently I am posting from
Germany. The opinions I voice here are strictly my personal views and should
under no circumstances be confounded with those of the Kurdistan Regional
Government or any other institution of the Kurds of Iraq. Milan Ray seems to
insinuate that this is not so.

Thanks for the interest and kind regards. I feel that what is important is not
the CV - although it might help you understand the motivation, but jointly and
honestly discussing the problems that gravely interfere with the life and the
future well-being of the Kurdistanis of Iraq, be them Kurdish, Assyrian,
Turkoman, Arab.
Best
Alexander Sternberg