[casi] Re: Child Leukaemia Treatment in Iraq

Dear All

Most of the chemotherapy drugs used in the treatment of cancers and leukemia are Nitrogen Mustered
based drugs. These materials are considered, by the US and UK governments, as a dual use materials
and are under strict export control. Several years ago the GOI wanted to import 100 vials of
Mustian, for cancer treatment, from BOOTS in the UK. The UK government did not give the necessary
export license because Mustered hydrochloride was a banned material. It is worth noting that each
vial contained 10 milligram of mustered hydrochloride i.e. the whole order was for ONE GRAM and
only one gram. They know that UNSCOM have destroyed more than 80 tons ( or 80 million grams) of
mustered gas in Iraq yet they consider that ONE gram is a threat to world security. Another stupid
example is Angised tablets for Anginal pain, each tablet contains 500 microgram of Glyceryl
trinitrate. The UK government refused to ship the drug because glyceryl trinitrate is a derivative
of TNT and is banned under the "civilized west" sanctions! I do not know if they have modified this
stupid policy or not but defiantly it is one factor of why leukemia drugs are in short supply.

Another factor is the unpredictable time it takes for the order to pass through UN 661 committee.
One might think that 6 months are practical and start ordering when they have 8 months supplies
only to discover that 661 committee are taking their sweet time and the order will come much later
than expected then shortage results.

One of the most devastating effects of the sanctions is the destruction of the good working
relations that existed between the GOI and the drug companies. Previously if a drug shortage occurs
then the government will rectify that by asking the drug companies to send urgently needed drugs
even before opening the L/C or even signing the contract and in most cases the companies send the
drugs within weeks.

Those relations now is destroyed and replaced by bureaucratic, heartless, politicians bent on
inflicting the maximum damage on their enemy even if it cost the lives of more than a million
innocent people. Ends justify the means.

Best regards

Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar

Baghdad Iraq