RE: [casi] Reply from Tom Levitt MP

Dear Diarmuid,

Thank you for reporting back on your correspondence with Tom Levitt.  You
conclude by noting that:

> I hasten to add that I am not so naive as to believe that writing
> to my MP will effect any change.

Letters to MPs do have an effect: they are felt to be one of the measures of
public opinion that MPs have.  Letters from people concerned about the
situation in Iraq send warning signals that the policy is creating
opposition.

> <snap> Saddam Hussein knows very well that he is in breach of
> several UN resolutions in respect of the proliferation of weapons
> of mass destruction. If he allows UN inspectors back into his
> country, the sanctions can be lifted.

> My reply will point out that the sanctions were never intended to
> ensure that SH complied with UN inspectors (leaving aside the
> fact that they turned out to be spies!);

My own sense is that the hopes for the sanctions in 1991 were very mixed.
On the one hand, I do think that there was alarm at Iraq's non-conventional
arsenal, and therefore a desire to disarm it.  On the other hand, President
Bush Sr indicated from the outset that he sought to topple the Iraqi regime,
and would link the sanctions to the Iraqi regime.  Successive
administrations over the decade have reaffirmed this link in one way or
another.

The argument presented to me by those who argue that the sanctions are
linked to Iraq's weapons, and not to its leadership, is that the US could
not hold out against the Security Council if the Iraqi government was found
to be in compliance by the weapons inspectors.

I've appended below an excerpt from an e-mail that I wrote recently in which
I tried to present my concerns about these arguments.

> <snap> Those sanctions have
> already been significantly modified to ensure that they need not
> cause any problems in respect of getting food and medicine, for
> example, to the Iraqi people. Unfortunately, the history of Iraq
> is such that their President always ensures that it is the
> people, rather than the ruling class, who bear the brunt of any
> hardship. The solution to this, it seems, should be in the hands
> of the Iraqi people themselves. </snip>
>
> the modifications of the
> sanctions have been dismissed by observers as having little
> effect on the suffering of the Iraqi people and the potential to
> actually worsen things; that it is not only the history of Iraq
> ehich ensures the suffering of the people rather than the ruling
> class, but every country throughout the world; that the Iraqi
> people should not be punished for the sins of their political
> class; that the sanctions regime not only punishes the Iraqi
> people, but also works actively against his claim that the people
> should be the ones to direct their future: a starving, broken
> people are unlikely to effect substantial political change.

Yes.  The 'oil for food' programme has allowed over $20 billion of goods
into Iraq over the past half decade.  This has blunted the harshest aspects
of the sanctions.  Yet the sanctions, even with the latest Security Council
resolution, continue to impose a terrible burden on Iraq's economy, and
hence on its ability to meet civilian needs.  (I tried to address some of
these issues in an article for the Middle East Economic Survey last month,
available at http://www.mees.com/news/a45n23d01.htm.)

The central problem is poverty, and not permission to import food or
medicines, as Levitt's letter prefers to think.  The analogy that seems best
to me in this respect is that London's homeless don't sleep under bridges
because they are prevented by law from renting apartments or buying houses.

The final sentence in the passage from Levitt's letter that you cite, "The
solution to this, it seems, should be in the hands of the Iraqi people
themselves" strikes me as deeply insensitive.  One cannot simultaneously
trumpet the brutality of the Iraqi dictatorship and imply that the Iraqi
people are to blame for not overthrowing it.  It is true that all
dictatorships require at least general acquiesence, but throwaway remarks
like Levitt's seem completely ignorant of the difficulties of collective
action in Iraq.

In the preceding sentence, Levitt lamented that "Unfortunately, the history
of Iraq is such that their President always ensures that it is the people,
rather than the ruling class, who bear the brunt of any hardship."  This
argument was addressed by the House of Commons International Development