Re: [casi] Iraqi date-growing season?

At 04:10 PM 12/20/03, you wrote:

>[ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
>
>Spotted on LF via La Voz de Aztlan (http://tinyurl.com/2z9y2) via AP
>photo.  Posted below. pg

I saw the picture with the dates and the news photos of the hole Saddam was
supposedly hiding in, but I couldn't say these were photos of the same
place, and I don't know where the "date" picture is from.  The most
important thing to keep in mind is *every* report and photo is suspect. The
war on Iraq was built on a foundation of lies and propaganda, and now many
parties are "arming themselves" for the current information war.  (And let
us not trust reports as to what papers were found: there have already been
a number of misinterpretations as well as outright forgeries.)

I assume that everyone has heard of the new "fearless leader news network"
to local US news outlets?
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/12/19/iraq_news_feed_draws_criticism?mode=PF

As to postings and quality, as mentioned in the other messages, I had
posted a few things which I though to be analytical and relevant, but was
moderated as being not on topic -- not specific to the ground conditions in
Iraq -- apparantly with some complaints from some list members. At that
pointed I stopped posting until a few days ago, when I read the
announcement about the new list. As for facts on the ground, there are very
people who can speak to those first hand and still have access to
communication. The rest must be either second hand news, speculation, or
discussion in more general terms, such as what can be expected from the
occupiers and their policies.  It is still not clear to me just what kind
of posts are desired, if not news items and analysis of those -- hence, I
hesitate to post anything.

As far as facts on the ground, it makes little practical difference when
Saddam was captured -- or even what the perception of the timing is in Iraq
or elswhere.  The *facts* , as near as I can tell from reports that come
though, is that Iraqis are being widely abused by the occupiers. Announcing
to people that anti-US demonstrations will be fired on is a sign both of
the desparation of the occupiers and an omen of much greater trouble to
come. Democracy "Miami style" breeds resentment anywhere. Add to that the
disappearing of Iraqis, cirlcling towns with barbed wire, demoslishing
houses, indiscriminate killing by US troops, etc. etc. -- on top of the
violent reactions of various insurgents, terrorists, and just those seeking
retributions -- on top of the generally lousy living conditions, lack of
security, jobs, and services --- well, what can possibly expected but
further breakdowns, resentment, and violence.

The facts on the ground will unfold as they will regardless of spin and
propaganda. The effect of propaganda does not directly affect Iraq, but has
a large indirect effect as it influences public opinion in the nations of
the occupiers, and tolerance for the gangsters to continue their conquests
and looting.  At this point Saddam is little more than a prop on the stage
show to be presented to the US population and the worldwide audience.

There is currently noise about "the papers" and the "list of names" -- as
if these had any real significance. The "names"  -- if the list actually
exists -- might be Saddam's friends, enemies, people to recruit or
approach, or a holiday greeting card list. Not only are people mobile --
they can run and relocate if they fear being found out as spies -- but they
are replacable by thousands of others, with numbers of new resisters
growing every day.  Revolution is only marginally hierarchical. Factions
which might eventually fall into civil war will not only cooperate to a
degree when threatened by a common enemy (the occuaption), but even when
competing will often be destructive of an occupying or would-be unifying
force.  Let's say the US wants a puppet government and a docile population
under its control, and some permanent army bases and industrial
exploitation centers. As long as there are any groups or significant number
of individual retaliators, this can't be attained.  The level of violence
and destruction will disrupt development, commerce, politics -- any sort of
stable organization. The reactions to this from the US will in all
likelyhood be increasing repression and military control, as is the wont of
this administration in particular, and US policy in general. That will
result in lowering of productivity, more dissatisfaction among the people,
and an increase in resistance, even to the formation of new resistance
groups. How many people in Iraq are now NOT angry at the occupation? The
press? Unions? Former military and police? Teachers? Scientific and
technical workers? People who live in houses and try to shop for food and
fuel? Who has NOT been screwed over already?

The noise about Saddam is to a great extent more distraction promulgated by
Bush and co. to obscure the issues of corporate corruption, the lies going
into the war (and lack of WMD), violations of civil rights all over, the
failure to rebuld and stabilize Iraq, and the huge US domestic problems and
growing dissatisfaction with issues such as heath care and employment.  One
might complain that some of these issues do not directly relate to
conditions in Iraq but in fact they largely determine what will happen
there.  The most important election for Iraqis may well be not electing
their own leaders, but who wins the US presidency next year.  It is to this
last question that the importance of Saddam is critical.