Which as someone has gently suggested probably rules out the Americans, I will append my reply to
him.
--------- Original Message ---------
DATE: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:58:25
From: "Tom Young" <tombo_combo@lycos.com>

egg on face.
I had originally found them on website that was presenting them as contemporary, it took me ages to
hunt the source down and I kept on assuming they were contemporary.
My guess is they certainly arnt soldiers.  If Kutswadi was in the Kurdish free zone - however the
flat landscape doesnt look like Kurdistan - they could be victims of the uprising .   But I cant
find out where Kutswadi is.  It is difficult to foresee circumstances where the Iraqi regime would
escort western journalists to its own mass grave scenes.   So I dont think they are Baathists
officials- but maybe I am wrong.  Unless the Baathists were trying to allege Shiite brutality in
executing Iraqi soldiers, which would explain why the photos appear not to have been released, ie
used by western Media. (according to Corbis).  It would also explain why it was near the Iranian
border as cross border attacks from exiled groups harboured by Iran was a major feature of the
Shiite uprising.  Equally it could be argued that they could Shiite civilians killed in the
uprising, but I still dont see circumstances where Baathist soldiers and officials would be
escorting photo journalists to th
e site.
I would still argue they have not been excavated from that site.   And it is a staged scene, by
whoever, and that bodies dont appear to be executed by bullet.
However as I have no idea about what the story really is here, perhaps I had better shut up  :D

Tom Young

Login To Lycos Mail