The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] Re: UK Ministry of Defense Issues DU Warning Cards to Soldiers Deployed to Iraq

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Good questions. The card came from a British veteran through a reliable
source. He maintains that troops are carrying the card in Iraq. Hearing
from soldiers returning from Iraq would be helpful, obviously.

The MoD has a testing policy.
http://www.mod.uk/issues/depleted_uranium/du_biomonitoring.htm

This is in the context also of a study that is being undertaken of
16,000 British troops.
Here is information on that:

Troops to be tested for war effects
Sun 15 February, 2004 05:23

LONDON (Reuters) - Thousands of British troops who fought in Iraq are
to undergo screening in the biggest ever study of the physical and
psychological impact of war, the Observer says.

The study, funded by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and carried out at
London's Kings College, will examine various triggers for illnesses
such as the use of anti-germ warfare vaccines, the effects of depleted
uranium-tipped bullets and the impact of stress.

"The immediate concerns are first, whether or not there will be a
repeat of the kind of physical health problems experienced by Gulf One
(1991 Gulf War) soldiers and, second, the increasing concerns about
psychological issues," study leader Simon Wessely told the paper on
Sunday.

Many veterans of the 1991 war suffered a variety of illnesses after
returning home that have been labelled Gulf War Syndrome, with experts
struggling to produce an explanation.

The study will track 16,000 troops over ten years who served in
Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, the former Yugoslavia as well as Iraq, said
the Observer.

I will pass along specific information off list (others who would like
more specifics, please email me.)

Best, Charlie

Charles Jenks, attorney at law
President of the Core Group