The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] Where is Tom Young?

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

I am reading Tom Young's accounts with a little incredulity.  I am also in Baghdad, I spent six
months here last year and have been here for a month this year.

I was staying in Karada until the Mount Lebanon explosion, which almost blew my windows in, a
colleague at the Swan Lake had her window and part of her ceiling land on her.  There is a rarely a
day, let alone a night with some gun fire or explosion.  Both around the Sheraton and Palestine
Hotel and most other parts of Baghad.  I am also spending sometime in Adhamiya where people don't
even look round at the sound of AK's close by.

The hospitals are now closed to all inquisitive media, who would get a better idea of casualties
and worsening conditions, but the doctors have had pay rises and have been told not to let the
media film anything.  Casualties do not help to a story of improvements.

It may be possible to ignore all of this if you are shut away safely in the Al Hamra.. but to deny
its happening!!! I am speechless.

Julia Guest