Robert Fisk article, further AI appeal, more news

to those who've recently joined this list -- a list of addresses and fax
numbers for UK government officials to whom you might like to write and
express your feelings about the bombing of Iraq was sent out a few days
ago. You can find it on our website in the Discussion List Archive.
http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/casi/                                --seb

Robert Fisk - Deadly cost of a degrading act

WE ARE now in the endgame, the final bankruptcy of Western policy
towards Iraq, the very last throw of the dice. We fire 200 cruise
missiles into Iraq and what do we expect? Is a chastened Saddam Hussein
going to emerge from his bunker to explain to us how sorry he is? Will
he tell us how much he wants those nice UN inspectors to return to
Baghdad to find his "weapons of mass destruction"? Is that what we
think? Is that what the Anglo-American bombardment is all about? And if
so, what happens afterwards? What happens when the missile attacks end -
just before the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, because, of course, we
really are very sensitive about Iraqi religious feelings - and Saddam
Hussein tells us that the UN inspectors will never be allowed to return?

As the cruise missiles were launched, President Clinton announced that
Saddam had "disarmed the [UN] inspectors", and Tony Blair - agonising
about the lives of the "British forces" involved (all 14 pilots) - told
us that "we act because we must". In so infantile a manner did we go to
war on Wednesday night. No policies. No perspective. Not the slightest
hint as to what happens after the bombardment ends. With no UN
inspectors back in Iraq, what are we going to do? Declare eternal war
against Iraq?

We are "punishing" Saddam - or so Mr Blair would have us believe. And
all the old cliches are being trundled out. In 1985, just before he
bombed them, Ronald Reagan told the Libyans that the United States had
"no quarrel with the Libyan people". In 1991, just before he bombed
them, George Bush told the Iraqis that he had "no quarrel with the Iraqi
people". And now we have Tony Blair - as he bombs them - telling Iraqis
that, yes, he has "no quarrel with the Iraqi people".

Is there a computer that churns out this stuff? Is there a cliche
department at Downing Street which also provides Robin Cook with the
tired phrase of the American Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright,
about how Saddam used gas "against his own people"?

For little did we care when he did use that gas against the Kurds of
Halabja - because, at the time, those Kurds were allied to Iran and we,
the West, were supporting Saddam's invasion of Iran.

The lack of any sane long-term policy towards Iraq is the giveaway. Our
patience - according to Clinton and Blair - is exhausted. Saddam cannot
be trusted to keep his word (they've just realised). And so Saddam's
ability to "threaten his neighbours" - neighbours who don't in fact want
us to bomb Iraq - has to be "degraded". That word "degraded" is a
military term, first used by General Schwarzkopf and his boys in the
1991 Gulf war, and it is now part of the vocabulary of the weak.
Saddam's weapons of mass destruction have to be "degraded". Our own dear
Mr Cook was at it again yesterday, informing us of the need to "degrade"
Saddam's military capability.

How? The UN weapons inspectors - led for most of the time by Scott
Ritter (the man who has admitted he kept flying to Israel to liaise with
Israeli military intelligence), could not find out where Saddam's
nuclear, biological and chemical weapons were hidden. They had been
harassed by Iraq's intelligence thugs, and prevented from doing their
work. Now we are bombing the weapons facilities which the inspectors
could not find. Or are we? For there is a very serious question that is
not being asked: if the inspectors couldn't find the weapons, how come
we know where to fire the cruise missiles?

And all the while, we continue to impose genocidal sanctions on Iraq,
sanctions that are killing innocent Iraqis and - by the admission of Mr
Cook and Mrs Albright - not harming Saddam at all. Mrs Albright rages at
Saddam's ability to go on building palaces, and Mr Cook is obsessed with
a report of the regime's purchase of liposuction equipment which, if
true, merely proves that sanctions are a total failure.

Mr Cook prattles on about how Iraq can sell more than $10bn (£6bn) of
oil a year to pay for food, medicine and other humanitarian goods. But
since more than 30 per cent of these oil revenues are diverted to the UN
compensation fund and UN expenses in Iraq, his statement is totally
untrue.

Dennis Halliday, the man who ran the UN oil-for-food programme in
Baghdad, until he realised that thousands of Iraqi children were dying
every month because of sanctions, resigned his post with the declaration
that "we are in the process of destroying an entire society. it is
illegal and immoral." So either Mr Halliday is a pathological liar -
which I do not believe - or Mr Cook has a serious problem with the truth
- which I do believe.

Now we are bombing the people who are suffering under our sanctions. Not
to mention the small matter of the explosion of child cancer in southern
Iraq, most probably as a result of the Allied use of depleted uranium
shells during the 1991 war. Gulf war veterans may be afflicted with the
same sickness, although the British Government refuses to contemplate
the possibility. And what, in this latest strike, are some of our
warheads made of? Depleted uranium, of course.

Maybe there really is a plan afoot for a coup d'etat, though hopefully
more ambitious than our call to the Iraqi people to rise up against
their dictator in 1991, when they were abandoned by the Allies they
thought would speed to their rescue. Mr Clinton says he wants a
democracy in Iraq - as fanciful a suggestion as any made recently. He is
demanding an Iraqi government that "represents its people" and
"respects" its citizens. Not a single Arab regime - especially not
Washington's friends in Saudi Arabia - offers such luxuries to its
people. We are supposed to believe, it seems, that Washington and London
are terribly keen to favour the Iraqi people with a fully fledged
democracy. In reality, what we want in Iraq is another bullying dictator
- but one who will do as he is told, invade the countries we wish to see
invaded (Iran), and respect the integrity of those countries we do not
wish to see invaded (Kuwait).

Yet no questions are being asked, no lies uncovered. Ritter, the Marine
Corps inspector who worked with Israeli intelligence, claimed that
Richard Butler - the man whose report triggered this week's new war -
was aware of his visits to Israel. Is that true? Has anyone asked Mr
Butler? He may well have avoided such contacts - but it would be nice to
have an answer.

So what to do with Saddam? Well, first, we could abandon the wicked
sanctions regime against Iraq. We have taken enough innocent lives. We
have killed enough children. Then we could back the real supporters of
democracy in Iraq - not the ghouls and spooks who make up the so-called
Iraqi National Congress, but the genuine dissidents who gathered in
Beirut in 1991 to demand freedom for their country, but were swiftly
ignored by the Americans once it became clear that they didn't want a
pro-Western strongman to lead them.

And we could stop believing in Washington. Vice-President Al Gore told
Americans yesterday that it was a time for "national resolve and unity".
You might have thought that the Japanese had just bombed Pearl Harbor,
or that General MacArthur had just abandoned Bataan. When President
Clinton faced the worst of the Monica Lewinsky scandal, he bombed
Afghanistan and Sudan. Faced with impeachment, he now bombs Iraq. How
far can a coincidence go?

This week, two Christian armies - America's and Britain's - went to war
with a Muslim nation, Iraq. With no goals, but with an army of
platitudes, they have abandoned the UN's weapons control system, closed
the door on arms inspections, and opened the door to an unlimited
military offensive against Iraq. And nobody has asked the obvious
question: what happens next?

Amnesty International Urgent Action update:

+ Paper reprints authorised. Electronic redistributors +
+ must request permission from Amnesty International.  +
+ Contact:   ua@amnesty.org.uk                         +

PUBLIC                     AI Index: AMR 51/114/98

Further information on EXTRA 101/98 (AMR 51/110/98, 16 December
1998) and follow-up (AMR 51/112/98, 17 December 1998) - Fear of
indiscriminate mass killing of civilians in Iraq

USA/UK/IRAQ

At least two hospitals are reported to have been hit as a result of
US and UK air strikes in Baghdad.  A rice storage house in the town
of Tikrit, north of Baghdad, is also said to have been hit and burnt
down by a missile.

International Humanitarian Law prohibits attacks which, although
aimed at a legitimate military target, have an indiscriminate or
disproportionate impact on civilians.  Amnesty International is
concerned that International Humanitarian Law may be being violated
by the US and UK action.

FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: If possible, please continue to send
telegrams/faxes/express/airmail letters in English or in your own
language:

- reminding the US government of the general prohibition contained
in International Humanitarian Law standards against attacking
hospitals and other civilian objects indispensable to the survival
of the civilian population.

APPEALS TO:
(Time difference = GMT - 5 hrs / BST - 6 hrs)

Bill Clinton                      [Salutation:        Dear President]
President
The White House
Office of the President
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington DC 20500
United States of America
Telegrams:          President, Washington DC, United States America
Faxes:        + 1 202 456 2461
E-mails:      president@whitehouse.gov

PLEASE SEND COPIES OF YOUR APPEALS TO: His Excellency Mr Philip
Lader, Embassy of United States of America, Grosvenor Square, London
W1A 1AE. Fax: 0171 409 1637

PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY.

Amnesty International members in the UK and US are requested not to
write appeals to their own governments on this issue.

+ If you have any queries about this Urgent Action or about +
+ the UA scheme in general, please contact:                 +
+   Ray Mitchell / Becky Hess                               +
+   Amnesty International UK Section                        +
+   99 - 119 Rosebery Avenue                                +
+   London EC1R 4RE      email: ua@amnesty.org.uk           +