Re: Vandals or sanctions?

Grayham writes,

> The media will blow  any small incident into a major event if it will
> sell papers and it is their reporting that will win or lose
> supporters. Give them any excuse to print stories that show people
> breaking the law and in the minds of the general public  will be the
> idea that supporters of this protest are all guilty of criminal acts
> and many people will not want to be involved with it .

Many of Grayham's arguments hinge on how the media might project certain
forms of protest. While I agree that media coverage is important, I think
that any campaign cannot afford to rely too heavily on how the media
covers it. As Grayham points out, the media is often able to create quite
a distorted view regarding 'vandals' etc. The implication, which I think
we all accept, is that the media is quite fickle (Tim Henman will capture
the front page from Monica Lewinsky etc).

I don't want to seem to be making a simplistic argument about the
interests of the media barons turning all newspapers etc into a tissue of
lies - quite often the professional ethics of a journalist or the
conscience of an editor works against a paper's logical 'line', for
instance. But there are serious limits to this. My own experience has been
that if a writer writes something uncomfortable for the newspaper or
something which the paper doesn't want to get involved in, the paper often
doesn't actually need to reject or scrap the article - they can hold it
till it's irrelevant, or relegate it to page 17. Will Iraq sell papers?
Not necessarily, unless the story is of the glorious RAF reliving its
heroic Battle of Britain deeds (no one remembers the use of the RAF to
bomb colonial populations from the air).

And paradoxically, a 'vandal' will make headlines and bring into focus
that there REALLY ARE people who don't think bombing Iraq is a Good Thing.

This might not necessarily cause people to rethink their position,
assuming they have one. But then again, it might.

> Give them any excuse to print stories that show people
> breaking the law and in the minds of the general public  will be the
> idea that supporters of this protest are all guilty of criminal acts
> and many people will not want to be involved with it .

If the 'general public' is really so easy to manipulate in these
directions, then we should disband CASI because the cause is hopeless.
I don't think there is any particular reason why if they/we can have
changed their minds before, they might not do so again, and in directions
which we desire. But to get that message across, we can't afford to rely
on the media. We need alternative channels of communication, and perhaps
we need to think seriously about how to make the campaign reach a wider
public.

On the subject of vandalism, criminal damage and other such terms, I find
it curious that language which evokes images of violence is used to
describe acts directed at objects, whereas the very media which we hope
will provide news cover to the anti-sanctions campaign if it behaves in a
polite and civilised manner has (with some honourable exceptions)
continued to use the terminology of an accountant describing depreciation
of assets ('diminish military potential', 'degrade military capability')
to describe the dropping of bombs on Iraq. Sanctions are simply not an
issue - no one is actually doing anything violent or illegal...

I think to rely too strongly on the goodwill of the media is a serious
error.

As regards grafitti or 'defacing walls' or whatever morally upright term
we wish to choose, I think this is a question of political culture. In
many countries, writing messages on walls is an integral part of the
political system. This is not simply true of fringe groups who operate in
a semi-illegal twilight zone - in India, for instance, (which, the media
is constantly reminding us, is 'the largest democracy in the world') all
political parties campaign by painting their symbols, slogans, electoral
promises, and even political cartoons, on walls. One might say "We simply
don't do that sort of thing in England" - but equally, one might ask
whether the general public in England is more aware of important national,
international and local issues than in other countries, or less so.

I hope many of us decide to go to the hearing and provide moral support to
the defendants, whether or not we believe in painting things on walls.

Ben Zachariah.