Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:23:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Herring <Eric.Herring@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject: Denis Halliday and Iraqi infant mortality
Sender: Eric.Herring@bristol.ac.uk
To: Mark Urban

Dear Mark:

I got in touch with Denis Halliday who, as you know, is
former UN Assistant Secretary-General and Humanitarian
Coordinator in Iraq regarding your claim that UN personnel
think that Saddam has ordered very little in the way of
targeted nutrition for infants in order to keep Iraqi infant
mortality rates high in order to have sanctions lifted.

I was not in my office when he got back to me. He left the
following message on my answerphone machine which I
transcribed:

'Whereas for many years UNICEF had provided this infant
feeding formula under its own resources, it was obliged to
stop that practice when Oil-for-Food became in vogue
recently. The Iraqi government finds this very hard to
accept because it demands that UNICEF has an obligation
towards Iraq as a founding member state of the United
Nations and should provide this under its own resources. So
that's the source of the conflict. And the stubbornness of
the Iraqi government not to use Oil-for-Food, although the
reason is absolutely legitimate and the purpose is
legitimate, pending this problem of who is going to pay the
bill: it's a matter of principle for the Iraqis, given the
honour code, rights, self-esteem, sovereignty and so on
that the Iraqis attach so much importance to. It's become
really a redundant blockage to very urgently needed
assistance. I've spoken to a number of government people
and urged them to put that aside and buy the supplies under
Oil-for-Food.'

Of course, you - and UN personnel - are free to take the
view that the arguments used by the Iraqi government are a
smokescreen for some secret policy of keeping infant
mortality high. However, I would like to see evidence
rather than speculation in spite of the evidence. The
bottom line is that your claim that this is the UN view in
any general sense is untenable.

Indeed, I have yet to find any current or former
UN people who hold this view or say that they couldn't
speak out on this because they were trying to maintain
relations with Iraq. As I write, Denis is on his way to
Baghdad and he has agreed to try to find out more
information on this issue. In addition, I will make
particular efforts to get in touch with Benon Sevan, who
you say does think that there is a deliberate Iraqi policy
of keeping infant mortality high.

yours sincerely,

Eric

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol
10 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TU
England, UK
Tel. +44-(0)117-928-8582
Fax +44-(0)117-973-2133
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Politics
eric.herring@bristol.ac.uk

--- End Forwarded Message ---

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol
10 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TU
England, UK
Tel. +44-(0)117-928-8582
Fax +44-(0)117-973-2133
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Politics
eric.herring@bristol.ac.uk

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***