Sevan: Iraq's electricity supply could increase 50% if holds released

Significant UN developments this week:
http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/); and
> rumors continue about attempts to break the Security Council's deadlock on
sanctions/inspections.

Sevan's report gives specifics on the impact of holds on humanitarian
imports issued the 661 Committee (presumably by the U.K. and U.S.):
> Holds were placed on nearly $750 million worth of applications in the
electricity sector ...  Iraq's electricity supply could increase by 50 per
cent if the holds were released.
> To date, there are around $73 million worth of contracts on hold in the
agriculture sector.  ... FAO estimates that some of these holds have caused
significant reductions in the use of land for grain crops and the loss of as
much as 20,000 tons of wheat production. Delays in the arrival of vaccines
have also resulted in a loss of some 7million tons of meat, the FAO
estimates.

Regards,
Drew Hamre
Golden Valley, MN USA
---
Snipped from: http://www.un.org/News/dh/latest/page2.html#49
Humanitarian situation in Iraq has improved under oil-for-food programme,
says UN official.
17 November -- The humanitarian situation in Iraq has improved considerably
since the United Nations oil-for-food programme was implemented three years
ago, a top UN official told the Security Council today.
Benon Sevan, the Executive Director of the Iraq Programme was briefing the
Council on the sixth phase of the oil-for-food programme, which expires on
Sunday. He said that the range of commodities en route as well as those
waiting distribution and utilization meant that the potential impact of the
programme was even greater.
"It is also very clear," he said, "that much more must be accomplished if
the programme is to realize its potential to improve the health and well
being of the Iraqi people."
The programme was set up in 1996 to allow Iraq to sell oil in exchange for
badly needed humanitarian goods such as food and medicine. During the
current 180-day phase the total revenue is expected to reach $7.2 billion,
which is still $1.3 billion short of the increase in revenues that was
authorized by the Council last month.
Mr. Sevan noted that over the past 180-day period, contracts for a total of
$389 billion worth of oil were approved. There had been a welcome
improvement in the arrival of contracts for targeted nutrition supplies and
for the food basket items such as pulses and full cream milk that was
previously in short supply. However, he expressed concern that relatively
few applications have been received in the current phase for health, oil
spare parts, education, water, sanitation and other infrastructure.
The Security Council's Sanctions Committee continues to place a large number
of holds on applications for Iraqi imports, said Mr. Sevan. As of 15
November, the total value of applications placed on hold was $1.042 billion,
compared with approved applications worth $8.770 billion since the start of
the programme. Holds were placed on nearly $750 million worth of
applications in the electricity sector, he said, noting that Iraq's
electricity supply could increase by 50 per cent if the holds were released.

To date, there are around $73 million worth of contracts on hold in the
agriculture sector. The UN Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO)
estimates that some of these holds have caused significant reductions in the
use of land for grain crops and the loss of as much as 20,000 tons of wheat
production. Delays in the arrival of vaccines have also resulted in a loss
of some 7million tons of meat, the FAO estimates.

---
Snipped from:
http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/1999/19991117.db111799.doc.html
**Security Council Briefed on 'Oil-for-Food' Programme Report
The Security Council is holding informal consultations today on the latest
"oil-for-food" report, which is available in the documents counter. The
Council is being briefed by the Executive Director of the Iraq Programme,
Benon Sevan.
The report, as you'll recall, noted that over the past 180-day period,
contracts for a total of $389 billion worth of oil were approved. The total
revenue for the 180-day period is expected to reach $7.2 billion, which is
still $1.3 billion short of the increase in revenues that was authorized by
the Council last month.
However, Mr. Sevan noted in his briefing, the Security Council Sanctions
Committee continues to place a large number of holds on applications for
Iraqi imports. As of 15 November, he said, the total value of applications
placed on hold amounted to $1.042 billion, compared with approved
applications worth $8.770 billion.
He noted in particular holds placed on nearly $750 million worth of
applications in the electricity sector, saying that Iraq's electricity
supply could increase by 50 per cent if the holds were released. Sevan said
that the Secretary-General intends to submit a thorough review of the Office
of the Iraq Programme by February of next year.
We expect to make copies of Mr Sevan's introductory statement available in
the Spokesman's Office shortly.
Also, Ambassador Van Walsum of the Netherlands, Chairman of the Sanctions
Committee, presented his report to the Council, which will be available as a
document this afternoon.
The United States circulated a draft resolution on a technical rollover of
the programme, and the Commission of Experts will discuss that this
afternoon.

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at  http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***