Re: Oil Prices, Imports, Exports, and Dependency

Some of the arguments in the Economist article are, to
be very generous, misleading.

It would be hard, even for a politician, to find an
interpretation of the following statement that will
render it true:

"Rich economies are also less dependent on oil than
they were, and so less sensitive to swings in the
oil price. Energy conservation, a shift to other
fuels and a decline in the importance of heavy,
energy-intensive industries have *** reduced oil
consumption ***." (*** is my emphasis)

1. Oil consumption has not been reduced in the rich
economies. It has increased massively. See the two
tables below for details. Of the world's richest
countries, only the UK has reduced its oil demands
since 1970 and its demands are on the rise again.

2. The argument that the rich countries are less
dependent on oil because oil represents a smaller % of
energy consumption now than it did in 1970 is
senseless (this is the most generous way of
interpreting the Economist argument). By analogy: If
my beverage intake yesterday consists of 1 litre of
water and 1 litre of melted chocolate, but today it
consists of 2 litres of water and 4 litres of melted
chocolate, I cannot say that I am less dependent on
water today than I was yesterday because water
represents a smaller % of my total intake. I'm still
drinking more water and I will die if I don't drink
any. (To continue the analogy, I could say that I have
become a bigger glutton.) Replace "I" with "rich
countries, particularly the US", "water" with "oil"
and "melted chocolate" with "other energy sources".

There are other misleading statements, but the above
arguments should adequately demonstrate the article's
worthlessness.

Table 1.
"
World Energy Consumption by Fuel, 1970 - 2010

                Quadrillion BTU      Annual % Change
Energy Source   1970  1990   2010 1970-1990 1990-2010

Oil             97.8   135.4  181.3   1.6  1.5
Natural Gas     36.1    72.0  106.8   3.5  2.0
Coal            59.7    91.9  118.0   2.2  1.3
Nuclear          0.9    20.3   24.4  16.9  0.9
Renewables      12.2    26.2   41.1   3.9  2.3
Total          206.7   345.6  471.7   2.6  1.6

Note: Totals may not equal sum of components due to
independent rounding.
Sources: History: Energy Information Administration
(EIA),
Office of Energy Markets and End Use, International
Statistics
Database; and International Energy Annual 1992,
DOE/EIA-0219(92).
Projections: EIA, World Energy Projection System
(1995)." (taken from EIA website)

Table 2. (apologies for the poor formatting of this
one) See it at:
http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/classes/phys301/lecture4/sld065.htm
World Oil Consumption 1970-1996
(Thousand Barrels per Day)
Source :  International Petroleum
Statistics Report.
February 1998.

Yr  France  Italy    Ger       U.K.   Europe    U.S.
 Canada  Japan   Total
70.. 1,937  1,710   2,607   2,096   12,404   14,697
1,516   3,817   46,808
72.. 2,322  1,947   2,859   2,284   13,934   16,367
1,664   4,363   53,094
74.. 2,447  2,004   2,748   2,210   13,988   16,653
1,779   4,864   56,677
76.. 2,420  1,971   2,877   1,892   14,124   17,461
1,818   4,837   59,673
78.. 2,408  1,952   2,927   1,938   14,290   18,847
1,902   4,945   64,158
80.. 2,256  1,934   2,707   1,725   13,634   17,056
1,873   4,960   63,067
82.. 1,880  1,781   2,372   1,590   12,053   15,296
1,578   4,582   59,503
84.. 1,754  1,646   2,322   1,849   11,736   15,726
1,472   4,576   59,836
86.. 1,772  1,738   2,498   1,649   12,102   16,281
1,506   4,439   61,759
88.. 1,797  1,836   2,422   1,697   12,427   17,283
1,693   4,752   64,819
90.. 1,818  1,872   2,382   1,752   12,629   16,988
1,690   5,140   65,985
92.. 1,926  1,937   2,843   1,803   13,605   17,033
1,643   5,446   66,742
94.. 1,833  1,841   2,879   1,837   13,597   17,718
1,727   5,674   68,313
96.. 1,935  2,058   2,911   1,845   14,269   18,309
1,797   5,867   71,894

Regards,
Nathan

http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/19991127/index_ld5716.html

> [...]
> fuels and a decline in the importance of heavy,
> energy-intensive industries have reduced oil
> consumption. Software, consultancy and mobile
> telephones use far less oil than steel or car
> production. For each dollar of GDP (in constant
> prices) rich economies now use nearly 50% less oil
> than in 1973. The OECD estimates in its latest
> Economic Outlook that, if oil prices averaged $22 a
> barrel for a full year, compared with $13 in 1998,
> this would increase the oil import bill in rich
> economies by only 0.25-0.5% of GDP. That is less
> than one-quarter of the income loss in 1974 or 1980.
> On the other hand, oil-importing emerging
> economies—to which heavy industry has shifted—have
> become more energy-intensive, and so could be more
> seriously squeezed.
>
> The impact on the output of oil-importing countries
> also depends on whether oil producers save or spend
> their windfalls. In 1973 and 1979 many OPEC
> countries already had current-account surpluses, and
> most of their extra oil revenues were saved. Today,
> many have large current-account deficits (Saudi
> Arabia’s hit 10% of GDP last year). Cash-strapped
> producers are more likely to spend their windfalls
> on imports from rich countries.
>
> One more reason not to lose sleep over the surge in
> oil prices is that, unlike the rises in the 1970s,
> it has not occurred against the backdrop of general
> commodity-price inflation and global excess demand.
> A sizeable chunk of the world is only just emerging
> from recession. The Economist’s commodity price
> index is broadly unchanged from a year ago. In 1973
> commodity prices jumped by 70%, and in 1979 by
> almost 30%.
>
> Refining the argument
>

> Even if the impact will be more modest than in the
> past, dearer oil will still leave some mark.
> Inflation will be higher and output lower than they
> would be otherwise. The OECD’s rule of thumb is that
> a $10 increase, if sustained for a year, would
> increase the inflation rate in rich economies by
> about half a percentage point and knock about a
> quarter-point off growth.
> The impact of higher oil prices varies by country
> too. Perhaps the biggest risk is in America, where
> rising oil prices may push the inflation rate higher
> than is currently predicted. The slide in oil prices
> in recent years was one of the main factors that
> helped to hold down American inflation, so
> prolonging the country’s long economic expansion.
> That positive factor is now going into reverse.
> Higher oil prices have already helped to lift
> America’s inflation rate to 2.6% in October, up from
> 1.5% a year ago; the latest rise in oil prices could
> well push it above 3%. The core inflation rate
> remains relatively subdued, but headline inflation
> could still spill into wages and hence other prices.
> If it does, the Fed might be forced to raise
> interest rates by more than is now forecast. So OPEC
> could yet do more damage than most people expect.

<HR>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
<!-- saved from
url=(0072)http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/19991127/index_ld5716.html
-->
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>The Economist</TITLE>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000"
name=GENERATOR></HEAD><FRAMESET border=0
frameBorder=no frameSpacing=0 rows=86,*
marginheight="0"
marginwidth="0"><FRAMESET border=0 cols=190,*
frameBorder=no frameSpacing=0
marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><FRAME border=0
frameBorder=no frameSpacing=0
marginHeight=0 marginWidth=0 name=masthead_logo
scrolling=no
src="The Economist_files/masthead_logo.html"><FRAME
border=0 frameBorder=no
frameSpacing=0 marginHeight=0 marginWidth=0
name=masthead_ad scrolling=no
src="The
Economist_files/leaders.html"></FRAMESET><FRAME
border=0 frameBorder=no
frameSpacing=0 marginHeight=0 marginWidth=0 name=main
src="The
Economist_files/index2_ld5716.html"></FRAMESET></HTML>