Re: Amnesty International

Friends,

I'm new to this list, so I apologize if I'm repeating things already
said.

Amnesty International (AI) is not a pacifist organization, they are
neutral on war. Their founding motivation was, and the great
majority of their work has been, devoted to freeing political
prisoners and opposing capitol punishment. While AI's mandate
does begin with support for the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights, they have tended to focus on political rights rather than
economic ones. They are neutral on sanctions.

But, AI is a democratic organization, and last year five member
countries all passed resolutions asking (at least implicitly) that AI
advocate an end to sanctions on Iraq. The International Committee
has been directed to study the issue and come up with a policy by
mid-2001.

I know that isn't very satisfying. We should be able to make the
case to AI that the issue here isn't sanctions, per se, but their
application in Iraq; which has resulted in hundreds of thousands of
non-combatant deaths. This is clearly something that AI should
strongly oppose. However, absent significant pressure on this
issue (from us, as well as from other NGOs & IGOs), I think the
petition is the best we can hope for right now.

Pierre Sane is Secretary General of AI, and I believe that Don Giles
heads up the Mid-East group. You can write them at:

Amnesty International
1 Easton Street
London, WC1X 8DJ, UK

If anyone would like more information about Amnesty and how to
lobby them on sanctions, please get in touch with me through my
personal e-mail.

Peace,
Ramsey Kysia
mbakery@erols.com
Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: