Re: quick question

True:

Excerpt from my book Danger and Opportunity: Explaining
International Crisis Outcomes (Manchester University Press,
1995), pp. 211-212:

Saddam Hussein said on 2 April 1990 that `We do not need an
atomic bomb, because we have sophisticated binary chemical
weapons' (quoted in Simpson 1991: 68). Binary chemical
weapons have two chemicals which are relatively safe when
separate. When the weapon is fired, the different chemicals
in its two compartments mix to form a lethal gas. Saddam
Hussein's statement was made in the context of his implicit
threat to retaliate with chemical weapons for an Israeli
attempt, which he believed to be imminent, to destroy his
nuclear weapons research facilities (euphemistically termed
`some metal industry factory'): 'The West is deluding
itself if it imagines it can protect Israel if Israel comes
and strikes at some metal industry factory of ours. By God,
we will devour half of Israel by fire if it tries to do
anything against Iraq' (quoted in Simpson 1991: 68). Saddam
Hussein tried to make it clear that he was trying to deter
an Israeli attack.  Nevertheless, the United States
concentrated on condemning Saddam Hussein for his threat,
while Israel implied that a chemical attack would meet with
nuclear retaliation'

Also p. 224:

'Hybel sees this as an attempt to ensure that Israel would
not attack Iraq if he invaded Kuwait (1993: 34-5, 54). It
is more plausible that Saddam Hussein was concerned with
preventing a repeat of Israel's 1981 attack on his nuclear
weapon development facilities at Osiraq independently of
the dispute with Kuwait. On the attack on Osiraq, see
Feldman 1982.'

Cheers

Eric

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:35:37 EDT Butyfull98@aol.com wrote:

> is it really true that saddam threatened israel or is that just a rumor?
> --
> This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq
> For removal from list, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk
> Full details of CASI's various lists can be found on the CASI website:
> http://www.casi.org.uk

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics