Re: Khidhir Hamza online w/ Washington Post today (1PM EST)

Dear All

Do not believe what Khidhir Hamza is claiming.  Since I got the first
message about him being the "father of the Iraqi nuclear bomb" I was almost
90% certain it was a false claim.  Today I have checked the authenticity of
his claim with a friend of mine who worked with Hamza in Iraq and knew him
well.  I now know for certain that it is a totally false claim.  My fiend is
highly trusted and distinguished physicist who now lives in London, UK.

The friend tells me that Hamza has never been trained as a nuclear
physicist.  He was a quantum mechanics theoretician with absolutely NO
practical experience required for bomb design.  He was only very briefly
seconded to the Iraqi Atomic Energy Authority from Baghdad University
(Department of Physics) as most other physicists (including my friend) did
in the eighties.  He returned to his job as lecturer in quantum mechanics
and he supervised a number of MS (or MSc) dissertations in this area in
addition to teaching.  He was a good theoretician but he had nothing to do
with developing the "Iraqi bomb".

I hope this explain the situation regarding Khidhir Hamza.

Regards,
Hazim