Re: From today's Times

Dear all

Two comments on the Hain statement. Stating the obvious no doubt...

> Although his message was a broad restatement of existing policy, the tone
> was vastly different from earlier statements.

I don't know about 'vastly', but it does seem different, and does indicate
how much pressure the British government is under.

> Mr Hain said that in addition to his public appeal to the Iraqi leadership
> to co-operate with the UN, Britain had been making indirect approaches to
> Baghdad through friendly Arab governments in an effort to persuade the
> Iraqis to change their minds. "I have been meeting with a number of key
> foreign ministers in the region, in the Gulf and other Arab states, who
have
> been seeking to have a dialogue with Tariq Aziz, the Iraqi Foreign
Minister,
> about how 1284 can be implemented," he said.

This is negotiation by proxy. A very interesting admission.

Cheers

Mil

Milan Rai
Joint Coordinator
Voices in the Wilderness UK
National Office
16B Cherwell St, Oxford OX4 1BG

Personal contact details
158 Springfield Road, Brighton BN1 6DG
ph/fax 01273 508 331 pager 01523 746 462