Re: Embargo against Iraq under fire again

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Zenit News Agency wrote:

> News Briefs
>
> EMBARGO AGAINST IRAQ UNDER FIRE AGAIN
> Severe Denunciation in Italian Catholic Newspaper
>
> ROME, JAN. 14, 2001 <a href="http://www.zenit.org/english/">(ZENIT.org) </a>.-
> The embargo against Iraq came under heavy criticism in the Italian
episcopate's newspaper, on the 10th anniversary of the end of the Gulf War.

> Romanello Cantini wrote an editorial in the front page of the paper Avvenire, condemning the
>continuation of the embargo on Iraq, which strikes the poorest and most innocent segments of the
>population.
>
> The "heaviest sentence" of that war continues to be borne by "the
poorest and most impotent classes of the Iraqi people," Avvenire said. "What is more, it seems that
the embargo punishment strikes the most innocent, especially those who were not even born at the
time of Kuwait's invasion by Saddam Hussein, and the ensuing war."