Dalyell/Hain exchanges in written answers

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200001/cmhansrd/cm010122/text/10122w03.htm#10122w03.html_wqn0

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs what the mandate is of the UN Security Council to endorse
air-strikes over
Iraq. [145230]

Mr. Hain: UK and US aircraft patrolling the no-fly zone over Iraq are not
conducting a bombing campaign, as my hon. Friend implies. They only take
action in

22 Jan 2001 : Column: 404W

self-defence, as is their right under international law. We have no wish for
this confrontation to continue: it could end tomorrow if Iraq stopped
shooting at our
aircraft.

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs what recent representations he has made to the Government of Turkey
about
the export of oil to Turkey from Iraq. [145231]

Mr. Hain: We have made the Turkish Government aware of our serious concerns
about the trade in illegal oil through Turkey which we are keen to see
stopped.
The UN Sanctions Committee discusses Iraq's oil exports, both legal and
illegal, on a regular basis.

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs if he will discuss UN Resolution 1284 with the Governments of (a)
France, (b)
Russia, (c) China and (d) Malaysia. [145233]

Mr. Hain: We have held regular discussions with the Governments of France,
Russia, China and Malaysia on Resolution 1284 in the context of wider
discussions
on Iraq in the Security Council, since the resolution was adopted. All
Security Council members have made clear that they are working for the
resolution to be
implemented in full.

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs what his policy is on placing on hold humanitarian flights to Iraq.
[145234]

Mr. Hain: The UK has consistently approved humanitarian flights to Baghdad.
We place flights on hold, and then usually only on a temporary basis, where
cargo or
passenger details are insufficient to ensure that UN sanctions are not being
breached. These holds are lifted as soon as we are satisfied with the
additional information
provided. We encourage organisations to provide additional humanitarian
assistance to the Iraqi people--and called on them to do so in SCR 1284. We
assist those
who wish to do this by air with their applications for Sanctions Committee
approval. However the resumption of scheduled commercial flights involving
financial
transactions with Iraq would be a clear contravention of the sanctions
resolutions.

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs what recent discussions he has had with UNICEF about the deaths of
Iraqi
children. [145235]

Mr. Hain: We share UNICEF's concern that the children of Iraq have suffered
greatly at the hands of a dictator who cares nothing for their welfare. We,
however,
do care about them. Under SCR 1284, a UK initiative, the humanitarian
programme in Iraq has grown eightfold since it began in 1997. With up to $16
billion
available this year, there is no reason why Iraqi children should go short
of food, medicine or other humanitarian supplies unless Saddam decides to
deny them.

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs if he will make an assessment of the capacity of the Iraqi oil
industry to export
oil. [145237]

Mr. Hain: We welcome recent statements by the Iraqi Oil Minister that Iraq
is increasing oil production again to return to the pre-Gulf War levels
reached last year.
Iraq's decision to halt oil production in December 2000 denied the

22 Jan 2001 : Column: 405W

Iraqi people over $650 million of humanitarian relief in December alone. We
remain sceptical of Iraqi claims that they are unable to maintain production
because of a
shortage of oil spare parts when Iraq spent only 2 per cent. of the $600
million allocated to Iraq by the UN for oil spare parts during the last six
months of 2000. Oil
spare parts are also included in the UN's "fast-track" system which has
already processed more than $3 billion worth of goods.

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs what contracts have been blocked by the UK Government, which are
clearly
designed for humanitarian purposes. [145238]

Mr. Hain: Under the terms of United Nations Security Council resolution
1284, contracts clearly designed for humanitarian purposes for the supply of
foodstuffs,
medical, agricultural, educational, water and sanitation supplies and oil
spare parts no longer require Sanctions Committee approval but only need to
be notified to
the UN Secretariat. Under Security Council resolution 1330 these lists of
"fast-track" goods are being extended to include goods in the electricity
and housing
sectors also. This year alone, more than $3 billion worth of humanitarian
goods have been "fast tracked" in this way to Iraq.

The UK holds less than 2 per cent. of all other contracts, which are
circulated to the UN Iraq Sanctions Committee, and only does so when there
are serious
concerns that the goods could be used in Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction
programmes. Holds are generally placed temporarily until assurances have
been
received about the end-use or in-country monitoring of these goods. It is
the Iraqi Government who place blocking holds on UN humanitarian supplies.

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs what assessment he has made of UN stock reports on the distribution
picture
for food and medicines verified by UN observers. [145239]

Mr. Hain: We have seen no recent UN reports specifically on the distribution
of food and medicine in Iraq. However, we note that in his most recent
report the UN
Secretary-General called on Iraq to improve its contracting, ordering and
distribution of the food basket and called for more effort to ensure the
timely distribution of
supplies to address the nutritional needs of the Iraqi people. We also note
the Secretary-General's comment that the lack of a cash component--which the
Iraqi
regime refuses to discuss with the UN--is hampering the transportation of
supplies for the targeted nutrition programme in central and southern Iraq.

Mr. Dalyell: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs if he will make a statement on the operation of the "Oil for Food"
programme in
relation to Iraq. [145240]

Mr. Hain: The "Oil for Food" programme has grown eightfold since 1997.
Providing billions of dollars of humanitarian relief to the Iraqi people
again this year, "Oil
for Food" remains the largest UN aid programme ever. "Fast-track" procedures
introduced by the UN last year mean that more goods, including foodstuffs,
medical,
agricultural, educational, water and sanitation supplies and oil spare parts
no longer require Sanctions Committee approval, thus reaching the Iraqi
people more
quickly. So far this year, more than $3 billion worth of goods have

22 Jan 2001 : Column: 406W

been processed in this way. However, despite the programme's success, we
remain concerned that a lack of cooperation from the Iraqi regime continues
to hamper
the delivery of this aid to the Iraqi people.