Amman Declaration: "We call for lifting the sanctions on Iraq" (28 Mar 01)

Below are two translations confirming the 28 March 2001 Amman Declaration's call to lift sanctions,
first reported in
http://www.casi.org.uk/discuss/2001/msg00355.html

One is the Jordan News Agency version referenced by
http://www.casi.org.uk/discuss/2001/msg00360.html and later provided by that post's author.

Underneath excerpts find full text translations and another version circulated on National Public
Radio (NPR).  Note the NPR version suggests delegates want sanctions removal to be dependent upon
progress with Kuwaiti POWs and other humanitarian issues, whereas the provided Jordanian versions
do not.

Note also "The Arab leaders entrusted His Majesty King Abdullah, President of the summit to conduct
consultations with Arab leaders and the Arab league to continue discussing the "Situation between
Iraq and Kuwait,".

*****************************

[begin]

http://www.petranews.gov.jo/2001/87/en8738.htm
Jordan News Agency

Amman Declaration

Amman, March 28 , (Petra)---Following is the full text of Amman Declaration issued on Wednesday at
the closing session of the 13th ordinary Arab summit:

...We call for lifting the sanctions on Iraq and for dealing with the humanitarian issues
pertaining to Iraqi, Kuwaiti and other prisoners of war according to the principles of our religion
and national heritage.

[end]

*********************************

[begin]

SECTION: Part 4 The Middle East; THE MIDDLE EAST; ARAB SUMMIT; MIDEAST; ME/D4107/MED
LENGTH: 1021 words
HEADLINE: Summit final declaration urges Arab unity, support for Palestinians
SOURCE: Source: Jordan TV Channel 1, Amman, in Arabic 1117 gmt 28 Mar 01
BODY:

...Calling for the removal of the sanctions on Iraq and dealing with the humanitarian issues
pertaining to the Kuwaiti prisoners and the missing Kuwaitis and Iraqis as well as others in
accordance with the principles of our national, religious and humanitarian legacy.

[end]

************************************

[begin]

Copyright 2001 National Public Radio (R). All rights reserved. No quotes from the materials
contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to National Public Radio. This
transcript may not be reproduced in whole or in part without prior written permission. For further
information, please contact NPR's Permissions Coordinator at (202) 513-2000.
National Public Radio (NPR)
SHOW: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED (9:00 PM ET)
March 28, 2001, Wednesday

LENGTH: 471 words
HEADLINE: ARAB LEAGUE DECLARATION DENOUNCES ISRAEL, APPROVES AID FOR PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY BUT
STRUGGLES WITH IRAQI ISSUE
ANCHORS: ROBERT SIEGEL
REPORTERS: KATE SEELYE

...[begin]

'We call for the lifting of the blockade on Iraq,' it says, 'provided Iraq responds to Kuwait's
concerns about prisoners of war and other humanitarian issues.'

[end]

*********************************

http://www.petranews.gov.jo/2001/87/en8738.htm
Jordan News Agency

Amman Declaration

Amman, March 28, (Petra)---Following is the full text of Amman Declaration issued on Wednesday at
the closing session of the 13th ordinary Arab summit:

We, Kings, President and Emirs of the Arab countries, convened our summit in its 13th ordinary
session in Amman, after we had conducted an overall assessment of the inter-Arab relations, the
current Arab circumstances, and in light of the challenges facing the nation, the threats
infringing the Arab nation's security and the situation the Mideast peace process has come to,
taking into consideration the international changes particularly the information revolution,
globalization and the emergence of gigantic regional blocs, and in the wake of our willingness to
further boost inter-Arab relations to achieve the supreme objectives of the Arab nation, we declare
the following:

We adhere to our national bonds of brotherhood that brings together Arab nation's citizens and
unite their objectives, to the principles of the Arab League's charter and to the preservation of
the pan-Arab national security on the basis respecting the sovereignty of each country on its land,
resources and rights and prohibiting interference in internal affairs and the use of force or
threat and the commitment to settle disputes through peaceful means.

We affirm our commitment to the decision to convene the Arab summit regularly and on its fixed date
due to its significance to give momentum to the joint Arab action.

We stress the need to pursue efforts to further cement Arab solidarity and to revive the joint Arab
action to achieve Arab economic integration according to a new approach based on objective and
realistic rules and on accumulative and gradual work that safeguards each country's uniqueness and
national interests and simultaneously achieves continuous sectoral
cooperation and coordination among Arab institutions and bodies having similar orientations and
views.

We support interaction among Arab citizens in the Arab countries to further strengthen links and to
safeguard their interests and enhance their role to contribute to the march of Arab development
which will have a positive impact on fortifying the nation and protecting its identity. We
encourage interaction with other cultures and civilizations stemming from the noble message of
Islam that rejects racism and calls for tolerance and co-existence on the basis of mutual respect
and on safeguarding
legitimate rights.

We offer full assistance to the Palestinian, Syrian and Lebanese brethren in their strife to
restore their legitimate rights, affirming that the Israeli withdrawal from all occupied Arab
territories particularly Jerusalem, the Syrian Golan heights and the Lebanese Sheba Farms till the
4 June 1967 borderline is the only means to realize just and comprehensive peace in the Middle
East. The realization of this peace is the sole guarantee
to provide security for all, which is closely associated to freeing the region from weapons of
mass-destruction foremost of which is Israel's nuclear weapons.

In this regard, we appeal to the international community and all
the parties concerned with international peace and security to shoulder their responsibilities
within a comprehensive and balanced criteria. We call for lifting the sanctions on Iraq and for
dealing with the humanitarian issues pertaining to Iraqi, Kuwaiti and other prisoners of war
according to the principles of our religion and national heritage.

We call upon all Arabs to raise up the minor differences, to pursue efforts to achieve inter-Arab
reconciliation and to refrain from whatever that may harm Arab solidarity or may threaten the Arab
national security or the national security of any country including the role of media- without
affecting freedom of speech- in moulding the national public opinion that
supports the joint Arab action and defends the Arab nation's causes and the citizens' rights most
significant of which is the rights of the Arab citizen.

We urge every Arab country to taking the necessary steps, each according to its own circumstances,
to speed up the establishment of the Arab great free trade zone and to offer full support to the
Arab ministerial commission entrusted to follow up the implementation of Amman Arab summit
resolutions.
We express our appreciation to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
under the leadership of His Majesty king Abdullah II for its efforts exerted and distinctive
preparations made to host this summit, affirming our full confidence in His Majesty's leadership of
the joint Arab action with utmost wisdom, responsibility and keenness to enhance efforts to boost
Arab solidarity.

The Arab leaders entrusted His Majesty King Abdullah, President of the summit to conduct
consultations with Arab leaders and the Arab league to continue discussing the "Situation between
Iraq and Kuwait,".

End

***************************

Copyright 2001 British Broadcasting Corporation
BBC Summary of World Broadcasts
March 30, 2001, Friday

SECTION: Part 4 The Middle East; THE MIDDLE EAST; ARAB SUMMIT; MIDEAST; ME/D4108/MED
LENGTH: 514 words
HEADLINE: Arab leaders at Amman summit "dismayed" at US veto for UN Palestinian force
SOURCE: Source: Jordan TV Channel 1, Amman, in Arabic 1148 gmt 28 Mar 01
BODY:
[1]

Jordanian Foreign Minister Abd-al-Ilah al-Khatib and Arab League Secretary-General Ismat
Abd-al-Majid both said that Arab leaders at the Amman summit "expressed their strong dismay" at the
US veto of the UN Security Council resolution that would have backed the sending of an unarmed
observer force to the West Bank and Gaza. They were speaking at a news conference in Amman on 28
March, with was broadcast live by Jordan television. They also spoke of the differences between
Iraqi and Kuwait.

Al-Khatib said: "There was a vote in the UN Security Council this morning over a resolution
offering protection for the Palestinian people in the occupied territories. The [Arab] leaders
expressed their dismay at the United States' use of the veto. They felt this was a contradiction
and violation of the United States' role, as a peace sponsor and as a permanent UNSC member with a
special responsibility towards keeping international peace and security. We hope it will continue
to play such a role."

The foreign minister went on to speak of the foreign ministers' meetings prior to the Arab summit.
He noted "intensive consultations over the situation between Iraq and Kuwait."

He said: "These consultations are important because it is the first time since the Gulf crisis
[1991] that intensive consultations were held for several days to seriously and objectively examine
all details pertaining to sisters Iraq and Kuwait. The great majority of the Arab foreign ministers
participated in these talks, and we listened to the requests, concerns, and evaluation of our
brothers in Iraq and Kuwait.

"We tried to reach agreement on formulating the wording to express our understanding of these
concerns, but we were unable to reach agreement on all the wording within the time frame given for
the summit. There were some details that we were unable to finalize, but the summit has decided to
trust His Majesty King Abdallah II, in his capacity as president of the Arab Summit, with holding
consultations with his brothers the Arab leaders and the Arab League secretary-general and making
the necessary contacts to continue discussing this issue in a manner that would serve Arab
solidarity."

Arab League Secretary-General Ismat Abd-al-Majid also summarized the proceedings of the Arab summit
meetings. He read paragraph 10 of the final statement: "The leaders expressed their strong dismay
with the United States' use of the veto in the UNSC against the draft resolution on protecting the
Palestinian people and establishing a UN observer force. They believed that the US stand in this
regard contradicts its responsibilities as peace process sponsor."

He also drew attention to a paragraph in the Amman Declaration, which he said was added after
high-level contacts. The paragraph read: "Calling for the removal of the sanctions on Iraq and
dealing with the humanitarian issues pertaining to the Kuwaiti prisoners and the missing Kuwaitis
and Iraqis as well as others in accordance with the principles of our national, religious, and
humanitarian legacy."

LOAD-DATE: March 29, 2001