Re: Banned Goods

Dear Elizabeth and everyone else

Just to add to what Colin wrote. Apologies for summarising the state
of our knowledge (as far as I understand it).

> LISTS

There is no list of things which are _banned_.
There are (long) lists of things which are _permitted_ - the 'green
lists' which you can see at http://www.un.org/Depts/oip

>POVERTY

Ordinary Iraqi families are not deprived of common daily items such
as food and clothing and so on by the sanctions committee, but by
poverty.

The poverty is caused by the fact that there is mass unemployment,
and those people who do have jobs are paid in Iraqi dinars which
don't mean much now (0.04 pence for 1 ID where 1 ID used to be
2.00 pounds sterling).

Both the unemployment and the collapse of the dinar are caused by
the fact that the economy has been closed down by the economic
sanctions. So sanctions deprive ordinary families of resources, but not
(mostly) via the Sanctions Committee

Poverty is such that people have to trade parts of their (almost free)
food rations in order to buy clothes, travel, etc.

> INFRASTRUCTURE

The child death rate has more than doubled in large part because
drinking water is contaminated - because of unrepaired damage to
water purification plants, water pumping stations, water pipes, sewage
and sanitation services, and the electrical power system (which
underpins water purification and distribution).

The Sanctions Committee has blocked some contracts in these
sectors, but reconstruction was until recently limited mainly by the
inadequate revenues permitted or possibly with low oil prices.

The Sanctions Committee did not play the major role in blocking
reconstruction of the public health infrastructure, and may be about
to relinquish a lot of 'holds' in these areas next month.

> REFORM OR LIFT

In Voices, we believe it is important not to focus our campaigning on
the role of the Sanctions Committee. If we campaign against 'holds'
the answer is to lift them. If we campaign against the Sanctions
Committee, the answer is to reform it. But our understanding is that
even if there were no holds, and the Sanctions Committee functioned
exactly as it was intended to do, there would still be a humanitarian
crisis.

Because comprehensive economic sanctions mean a flattened
economy, and that means mass poverty, and that means hunger and
disease.

Please see our briefing STRANGLEHOLD on the role of the
Sanctions Committee

http://www.viwuk.freeserve.co.uk/library/strangle_hold.html

Cheers

Mil