June 18 reminder

MONDAY 18 JUNE, 7.30AM - NOON
There will be a non-violent protest at MOD procurement centre, Filton
Abbeywood, Bristol against the procurement and use of weapons causing
sickness, death and genetic damage to civilian populations and long-term
contamination of the environment. We will also be protesting against the
continued bombing of Iraq and consequences of strategic bombing to civilian
life i.e. to enhance the effect of sanctions.

Pre-action meeting on 17th June, at 6.30pm, at 56 Ashley Road, St Pauls,
Bristol.

For further information tel: 0117 954 0564 or e-mail daamdu@c4.com

ACTION STATEMENT

We are taking this action because we feel bound by conscience and
international law to oppose the government's procurement and use of weapons
which contravene humanitarian rules of war.  Weapons such as the Trident
Missile System, depleted uranium weapons, thermobaric weapons, laser weapons
and cluster bombs all fail the following tests:

1. Weapons may not have an adverse effect off the field of battle.
2. Weapons should not remain active after the duration of armed conflict.
3. Weapons may not be unduly inhumane.
4.  Weapons may not have a  negative and long term effect on the
environment.

We are appalled that hundreds of thousands of civilians and military
personnel are suffering trauma, sickness and death as a result of the
actions of the British government and NATO in general. Many of these victims
are children, many unborn at the time of conflict. The majority are being
denied  necessary testing and health care.

We believe that the armed interventions of successive British governments
since 1990, in Iraq, the Balkans and Sierra Leone, have not been in defence
of democratic or humanitarian  principles, but in defence of strategic
resources and markets for the corporate world. This is an abuse of our armed
forces, public money and civilian life.

We believe that in the continued bombing of Iraq, the British government is
in violation of the cease fire established by the United Nations Security
Council Resolution 687, 3 April 1991. It also violates this resolution by
continued arms sales to the Middle East and  failing to call for a nuclear
free zone.

UN Vote
The United Nations Sub-Commission on Prevention of Discrimination and
Protection of Minorities voted a resolution which included the following:
..."Convinced that the production, sale and use of such weapons are
incompatible with international human rights and humanitarian law,
..."Urged all States to be guided in their national policies by the need to
curb the production and the spread of weapons of mass destruction or with
indiscriminate effect, in particular nuclear weapons, chemical weapons,
fuel-air bombs, napalm, cluster bombs, biological weaponry and weaponry
containing depleted uranium."
29 August 1996. Adopted by 15 votes to 1 (the US).