Comments on terrorist attack on US by a former member of US armed forces

Dear CASI:

A former member of the US armed forces asked me to forward
to the list. I am willing to receive and forward one set of

Best wishes

Eric

I cannot imagine an act that could be more hurtful for the
cause of peace than the attacks staged on 11 September,
2001.  By attacking directly the American people, on
American soil and causing deaths and injuries of thousands
of innocents, whatever support these terrorists hoped to
achieve has just disappeared like a wisp of smoke in a
tornado.
Did these terrorists really think that attacking the
citizens of the United States would help their cause?
Did these terrorists really think the American people and
government will now be willing to even listen?
These attackers have over 280 million Americans enraged and
completely unwilling to listen to anyone.
National survival is at the forefront, as we do not know if
these terrorist will attack again.
It isn't over-yet.
It can be expected the United States will respond
forcefully-and rightfully so, as no nation can suffer an
attack of this nature and not be expected to respond.
Retaliation is a component of Just War, and self-defense is
morally permitted.
The U. N. is not a sovereign power, and the United States
will act in its own defense-regardless of U.N "approval."
The U.N. is not the arbiter of what is and is not an attack
on the peace and security of the United States, nor will
the people of the United States look towards the UN as
their protector.
President Bush is not Clinton (thank God).  Clinton could
be expected to launch a cruise missile or two, attack an
empty building, bite his lower lip, hold a press conference
and say proudly the United States was defended.
However, president Bush is a former fighter pilot (enough
said for those that know what it takes to be one).   Bush
has warrior instincts--you can see that in his words and
actions.  It is a monumental error to underestimate his
courage, intelligence, resolve and skills when it comes to
acting in support of American interests.  He has the guts
to act, and he will act. He also has people in his
administration that are equally as tough and equally as
willing to defend America.
For all the partisan bickering we have seen in the US
government, it is ignorant for anyone to presume the
American government and people would not rally and become
one.  The American people are, after all, "One nation,
under God."
This attack on American soil is the worst single attack and
loss of American lives due to enemy action in the history
of our great nation--that is not an overstatement.
Pearl Harbor resulted in a little over 2,400 dead and was
an attack against a military target on an island that was
not a US State---yet.
The cowardly terrorists on the 11th of September attacked
innocent civilians.
There is no honor in that act.
Never before has the United States been attacked like
this--the War of 1812 was the last time we had foreign
invaders on US soil--and we did not lose nearly this many.
Once the enormity of what happened on 11 September 2001
sinks in, the American people will release the "dogs of
war."  I do not know if those dogs will be surgical strikes
or an invasion, or both, but I do know these dogs of war
will be relentless and cause bloody havoc.  And the blame
rests squarely on the people that support terrorists.
This support may be in the form of money or political
protection, as well as support in the form of calls for
"understanding."  (I'll get to that point in a minute.)
For the past several years I monitored CASI discussions
regarding sanctions.  I found some of the arguments to be
interesting and thoughtful.  I wanted to learn from all
sides in the debate.
So, after the terrorist attacks in the United States I
visited the CASI discussion web site to try and get a
measure of how the people who post to the CASI discussion
group would respond to these acts of cowardly murder.
I naively thought the caring peace-loving defenders of the
innocent and the pacifist anti-war types of the CASI
discussion group would in no way excuse the attacks.  After
all, they uniformly condemn the suffering of the
innocent-no matter the provocation or aim, and especially
if the aim is to inflict suffering upon the innocent.
Therefore, I thought they would unite behind the rest of
the civilized world.  I was wrong.
The posters all start with some sort of terribly insincere
"this is awful" remark, and then launch into a
US-had-it-coming tirade.
This is not helping the CASI cause.
I observed CASI writers posting hand-wringing laments about
a few isolated attacks against Muslims living in the United
States.
Now, I don't condone attacks against Muslims in the U.S.,
but I understand the provocation.
Stop.
How does that sound.  Insincere?  Hollow?  Doesn't ring
true?  Makes me sound like I really DO support such attacks
because I am asking people to look beyond the act and
achieve an understanding of the cause? Well, that is what
all those CASI posters are sounding like--but on a much
grander scale.
"Understanding" the alleged provocation to attack thousands
and thousands of innocents can never be accepted.  Why?
Because when these requests for understanding are taken in
context they are nothing more than an endorsement of the
attacks.  Understanding gives weight and legitimacy to the
attack because to "understand" is to accept they might have
had what they considered a "reason" for the attack.  By
asking us to seek "understanding" the CASI posters are
asking us to look for an excuse.
By accepting ANY excuse for these terrorist attacks,
members of the CASI discussion group have shown their true
character and their commitment to defending the defenseless
is impeached.
Like I said, I monitor the CASI discussion group because I
want to learn something, to become informed about all
sides.  Heck, sometimes I found compelling arguments.
But now I find it was all a lie.
The writers that post to CASI think themselves as defenders
of the innocent.
You see, according to CASI posters, no amount of reasoning
is enough to justify the suffering sanctions inflict upon
the innocent in Iraq.  The reasons for the sanctions do not
matter, the end result does.
Therefore, if these CASI writers truly cared for the
innocent they would never excuse, defend or try to
"understand" the attacks.  They would have condemned the
attacks and let it go at that.  After all, according to
CASI posters, no amount of reasoning is sufficient to cause
the innocent to suffer.
But somehow we must understand the reason cowards murdered
of thousands in the United States?  In the case of the
terrorist attack on the 11th of September we are to
overlook the evil act and accept the provocation?
This is lunacy.
What is certain is that I have serious doubts that CASI
writers are peace-loving or care about "the children.".
What is certain is that it appears that CASI writers only
care about attacking the United States, and civilians be
damned (as long as the victims are American).
Bottom line:  There is no understanding regarding the
attack on the United States. Just retaliation.

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol