Bomb them with butter.

Haven't verified any of this, but I thought we needed
something light-hearted. It seems sensible enough!

bas

***

How far can we think out of the box?

BOMB THEM WITH BUTTER

By Kent Madin

rett39@hotmail.com rett39@hotmail.com
http://www.boojum.com/Butterbombs.html

The terrorists have defined the game and we are
reacting. They are clever,patient and creative. They
planned their attacks for months and executed them
with great effectiveness. They are not stupid, so they

have made plans for the expected American military
response. An attack on Afghanistan is exactly what the
terrorists want. It will strengthen and swell their
small but fanatical ranks. What better opportunity to
destabilize Pakistan, foment a coup and establish
another Islamic fundamentalist state. Imagine several
divisions of US troops as hostages in an Islamic state
which holds nuclear weapons!

Instead, bomb Afghanistan with butter, with rice,
bread, clothing and medicine. It will cost less than
conventional arms, poses no threat of US
casualties and just might get the Afghan populace
hinking that the Taliban leaders don't have the
answers. After years of drought and with starvation
looming, let's offer the Afghani people the vision of
a new future. One that includes full stomachs.

Barrage them with information; video players and
cassettes of world leaders, particularly Islamic
leaders, condemning terrorism. Carpet the country
with magazines and newspapers showing the horror of
the acts committed by their "guest". Blitz them with
laptop computers and DVD players filled with a
perspective that is denied them by their government.
Saturation bombing with truth will mean that some of
it gets through. Send so much that the Taliban
can't collect and hide it all.

The Taliban are telling their people to prepare for
Jihad. In response,let's give the Afghani people their
first good meal in years. Seeing your family
fully fed and the prospect of a stable future is a
powerful deterrent to martyrdom. All we ask in return
is that they, as a people, agree to enter
the civilized world. That includes allowing
international law to run its course. Let's offer them
a helping hand into the 21st century.

In responding to terrorism we need to do something
different, something totally unexpected, something
that addresses the root of the problem instead
of exacerbating it. We need to be wiser and more
clever than the terrorists.

We need to define the contest on our terms, not
theirs. We need to take away the well of despair,
ignorance and brutality from which the Osama bin
Laden's of the world water their gardens of terror.

We have the technology; do we have the compassion?

[Editor's Note: John Steiner sent out an email message
earlier in the week  with a similar story from Len
Duhl < len-duhl@socrates.Berkeley.EDU
len-duhl@socrates.Berkeley.EDU >.

In that story Len described a war game that was staged
in the '60's. The participants acted out an imaginary
invasion of India by the Chinese. A friend of Len's
played the President of the United States. He decided
to do what is called a "paradoxical intervention". He
ordered dropping food, and radios, and withdrew
troops. He encouraged discussion. Peace resulted, new
patterns of relations occurred, and he achieved peace.
Proud of his success, Len's friend invited him to the
debriefing. At the beginning of the debriefing a high
ranking military man turned to his friend and said,
"Mr. X", you will never participate in
war games again! You have not played by the rules!" --
DS]