[casi] FW: US Parliament Bans Visitors, Students From 7 Countries

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020419/1/2o95t.html

Friday April 19, 2:16 PM
US Senate passes ban on visitors from state sponsors
of terrorism

-The Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform
Act, passed unanimously (97-0) in the Senate late
Thursday, prohibits admission of people from Cuba,
Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Sudan and North Korea unless
they are coming to the United States as immigrants.

The US Senate, still reeling from the September 11
attacks, moved to bar visitors from countries formally
declared sponsors of terrorism, and tighten control
over foreign students coming to the United States.

The Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform
Act, passed unanimously (97-0) in the Senate late
Thursday, prohibits admission of people from Cuba,
Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Sudan and North Korea unless
they are coming to the United States as immigrants.

However, the US secretary of state will have the
ability to grant a waiver to those deemed not a risk
to US national security.

The measure marked another step by Congress to enhance
domestic security in the wake of the September 11
attacks that were carried out by terrorists who
managed to enter the United States legally, including
on student visas.

"We know the chances of another terrorist attack are
great, and we know it is unconscionable for our
systems to allow entry of another terrorist into the
United States," warned California Democratic Senator
Dianne Feinstein, one of the sponsors of the bill,
during the debate preceding the vote.

"Unless we move on this bill, we cannot possibly
remedy the faults in our system," she added.

As many as 16,000 nationals from Iran, Iraq, Sudan,
Libya, and Syria have entered the United States as
students over the past 10 years, according to
congressional officials.

It was not immediately known how many come every year
to visit relatives and friends living in the United
States or as tourists.

The measure also significantly tightens control over
foreign students studying in US universities and
colleges.

It requires the State and Justice Departments to
closely monitor these students' arrivals, enrolment
into classes as well as their dropping out.

If the bill becomes law, which is largely expected,
universities will be asked to report foreign students
not showing up for classes to immigration authorities.