Re: [casi] IF I HAVE YOU AS A FRIEND WHO NEEDS ENEMIES!!

Dear list and Ghazwan,

>I find it appalling that HRW has jumped on the band wagon of the
>pentagon to advocate "regime change American style".

What would you say to a regime change 'Iraqi people style'? If such a thing
was to happen, whose side would you be on? More directly, whose side where
you on in the Iraqi Uprising, when exactly that happened? Did you do what
you could to help the Iraqi people liberate themselves, despite America not
wanting that to happen, or did you side, because of your political
obligations and involvement, with Saddam Hussein?

It's a bit of a rhetorical question, because if you sided with the Iraqi
people you wouldn't be writing to us today.

>Some of us will have to be sent to a rented American base (similar to
>Guntanamu) to be interrogated, and we will have no rights at all. It
>is comforting to know that Ramsfield boasted we, like Guntanamu
>detainees, will have a decent "three meals a day"! We will be shown on
>every television station around the world walking blindfolded,
>handcuffed and HRW representative will visit the base to inspect our
>conditions.

I see you use the word 'us' and 'we', confirming your complicity with the
regime of Saddam Hussein. What is laughable is that you criticise the awful
conditions of those in Guantanamo, yet you are in no position to do so with
the track record of the Ba'ath party. In the prisons of Iraq, what you
describe above is heaven. Torture is so widespread, especially amongst
political prisoners, that it is considered the norm. It's well documented
that hundreds, if not thousands have died under 'interrogation'.

Recalling only my family's experience, my aunt and her husband were arrested
because of mere suspicion that they were housing some people involved in the
opposition. They were taken, along with their 4-year-old daughter for
'interrogation'. Those who were in the prison at the time and
escaped/released have recalled to us their story. After intense torture of
both my aunt and her husband, including rape, the 4 year old girl was
brought in front of them and set alight with petrol to try and 'break their
will'. She died in front of them, burn to death. This was followed by
further beatings and torture. Convinced they were hiding something, the
officers took the decision that the man would probably have more information
than his wife (my aunt), so they burnt her to death in front of him. After
more intense torture, he died. We're not talking about this all happening in
a day; it was stretched out over weeks.

And despite that, and thousands of similar cases you condemn the
documentation of such abuses? Are you trying to pretend it doesn't happen?
Or is this merely to ease your own conscience?

No doubt you, and the other two (or is it three? I lost count) Ba'athis on
this list, along with your friends, will attempt to diffuse and deflect this
email and its contents. I just wonder when your conscience will, if ever,
catch up with you?

Yasser Alaskary