[casi] This just in!

By KEN GUGGENHEIM
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (July 31) - The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
urged the Bush administration Wednesday to better explain how it plans to
deal with the aftermath of a military campaign in Iraq to remove Saddam
Hussein.

''If we participate in Saddam's departure, what are our responsibilities the
day after?'' Sen. Joseph Biden asked as he opened hearings. To illustrate his
point, Biden noted U.S. actions in Afghanistan.

''The war was prosecuted exceptionally well in my view, but the
follow-through ... has, in my judgment, fallen short,'' the Delaware Democrat
said. ''It would be a tragedy if we removed a tyrant in Iraq, only to leave
chaos.''

Biden said he is confident that President Bush has not decided yet whether to
stage an invasion to oust Saddam, and doubts there would be such an exercise
this year. He said he expects the two days of hearings to yield a better
understanding of U.S. military strategy, the threat posed by Saddam's regime
and the consequences of war.

''In short, we need to weigh the risks of action versus the risks of
inaction,'' Biden said.

Former U.N. weapons inspector Richard Butler told the panel that Saddam has
extensive chemical and biological weapons programs and that there is evidence
he has stepped up his nuclear programs in recent years.

But he said he had seen no evidence that Saddam, despite long-standing ties
to terrorist groups, would provide those weapons to them.

''I suspect that, especially given his psychology and aspirations, Saddam
would be reluctant to share what he believes to be an indelible source of his
power,'' Butler said.

''It is now time for a national discussion on this. ...,'' Sen. Chuck Hagel
of Nebraska, ranking Republican on the committee, said Wednesday on NBC's
''Today'' show. ''This is a serious, serious issue because there will be
consequences here, there will be unintended consequences. We need to answer
some questions.''

The Bush administration says Iraq is developing weapons of mass destruction
that could threaten Iraq's neighbors and the United States. And while
offering no evidence of an Iraqi link to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on
America, officials have said Saddam has links to terrorists and could share
his weapons with them.

Though Bush has often spoken of the need to remove Saddam from power,
administration officials haven't said an invasion is inevitable.

''We don't know if the United States would exercise a military option with
respect to Iraq,'' Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday. ''There
are a variety of ways to address it:
diplomatically, economic and military.''

He also said American officials have briefed NATO allies, U.S. lawmakers and
others about the threat the United States believes Iraq poses.

On Tuesday, French President Jacques Chirac warned Iraq to quickly agree to
the return of weapons inspectors. Iraq has refused to allow the return of
inspectors, who left ahead of 1998 allied airstrikes. Those airstrikes were
meant to punish Iraq for blocking inspections set up after the 1991 Persian
Gulf War.

Rumsfeld said Iraq is unlikely to allow the kinds of U.N. inspections needed
to expose all of its weapons of mass destruction.

''It would take such a thoroughly intrusive inspection regime agreed to and
then lived up to by Iraq that it's difficult to comprehend - even begin to
think - that they might accept such a regime,'' Rumsfeld said. ''It would
have to be without notice. It would have to be anywhere, anytime.''

Additionally, it might take the help of Iraqi defectors and other informers
to help point out where things were hidden, he said.

Rumsfeld said Monday that destroying Iraq's chemical and biological weapons
with airstrikes alone would be difficult because Iraq has hidden many of its
military sites. On Tuesday, Rumsfeld refused to say whether he thought that
meant a ground invasion would be needed to oust Saddam.

Also Tuesday, Democratic Sens. Dianne Feinstein of California and Patrick
Leahy of Vermont introduced a resolution that opposed the use of force
against Iraq without congressional authorization or a declaration of war.

''This is not a question ... whether or not Saddam Hussein is a brutal
dictator - he most certainly is,'' Feinstein said. ''The question is what
(is) the best policy for the United States to address these issues and, if we
are to use force, that we do so only after full debate and consideration of
the options and with a united government and the specific statutory
authorization of Congress.''

The current president's father, George H.W. Bush, obtained a resolution
authorizing the use of force against Iraq days before the United States and
its allies began their 1991 campaign, following Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.

AP-NY-07-31-02 1149EDT

Roger Stroope
Peace is a Human Right
Austin College