[casi] Australians worry over war with Iraq

> AAP 15th September 2002
>
> Australians would not support a decision by Prime Minister John Howard
> to blindly follow the United States into military action against Iraq,
> two new polls have found.
>
> Three out of four Australians oppose our troops fighting in Iraq
> without compelling proof to justify military action, according to a
> Newspoll survey published in the Sunday Telegraph.
>
> About the same number - 74 per cent - said no troops should be
> committed to bombing Iraq unless the action is sanctioned by the
> United Nations (UN).
>
> And 85 per cent of respondents said Mr Howard should publicly detail,
> in advance, what evidence the government has to justify Australian
> involvement in war against Iraq.
>
> Two-thirds opposed any action against Iraq if the US and UN failed to
> prove Iraq's nuclear capability.

Only 15 per cent say they would support a strike on Iraq even if such
evidence was not produced.

At least 20 per cent are undecided on the issue of Australia's military
action against Iraq.

According to the newspaper, the poll makes it clear that Mr Howard will
be under heavy public pressure not to blindly follow the US into war
against Iraq.

Meanwhile, another survey by Taverner Research, published in The
Sun-Herald shows that 67 per cent of Australians are against supporting
any unilateral action by the US against Iraq.