Re: [casi] ethics: ideal and practical policy

Dear all,

I'm writing in a personal capacity (not with my list-manager hat on).  I
want to sound a warning bell about the type of assumptions we make about
our opponents during list discussions. In particular, I'm saddened and
disturbed by the tendency of some list members to assume that those who
disagree with them are therefore morally questionable or dishonorable. At
the extreme, some posts have gone so far as to suggest that those in
disagreement have 'no place on this list.'

In my view, one of the biggest problems in the campaigning community is
its self-righteous belief that it has a total monopoly on truth and
conscience. At the extreme this results in an intolerance of opposing
views that verges on the totalitarian. It is ironic that we constantly
decry the blinkered US/UK media and its refusal to ask difficult
questions, yet often react very aggressively to challenges to our own
beliefs. George Bush may see the world in terms of evil badies and pure
goodies - and some in the campaigning movement are in danger of doing the
same.

To avoid this, we *do* have to ask ourselves difficult questions. Colin
is someone who shows us the way in doing this, because he constantly
refuses easy categorisations. His realpolitik approach does sometimes make
me uncomfortable. I hope, however, that I have the maturity to recognise
that this is not because he is morally questionable, but because he is
presenting real and difficult challenges to my own sometimes complacent
worldview. In any case, were the question to come down to moral worth,
measured by principled commitment to the anti-sanctions cause, I find
myself - and indeed many people on this list - severely wanting in
comparison to Colin.

In one sense, I am sorry that this message comes straight after that of
M, because in effect he has shown how Colin might also consider
challenges to his own worldview, and to the moral bases of realpolitik.
However, many list members are not so thoughtful and respectful in
considering viewpoints which which they disagree.

In sum, I suppose I am saying that people deficient in humanity and
compassion do exist - but I've never (or very rarely!) seen one on the
casi-discuss list.  Certainly, I think the list environment would become
less volatile and more constructive if the baseline assumption was that
the person who disagrees with you is not morally suspect. It should not
need 'bravery' to post challenging arguments to the CASI discussion list.
And to those who have suggested that such arguments do not belong on the
CASI list: I think that this says very sad things about your inability to
practise the message of tolerance and humanity that you purport to preach.

best,
Abi