Re: [casi] Dirk Adriaensens contribution to Saddams Palaces.

By the way, Hassan, thank you for your excellent insight into my original
question.  Please accept my apologies for my terse response to your preamble,
I stand without an excuse.  Ditto to Abi and the rest.
In a message dated 09/22/2002 9:55:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
hasseini@maktoob.com writes:

> The funding for all those buildings is from inside Iraq, in Iraqi Dinars,
> printed by the government... The work is carried out by state owned
> contracting
> companies, whose staff receive salaries anyway, whether they do work or
> not. The
> materials are local (except perhaps the reinforcement steel and marble
> which are
> probably brought from Jordan and Turkey). The government itself is not
> spending
> any money on importing, but publishing tenders, and the private sector
> imports.
> The payment is made in Dinars.. So, no funds are diverted from the
> Oil-for-food
> towards building.
>
> The building projects also serve as a symbol of Iraq's defiance of
> sanctions,
> and its refusal to submit. It is to boost morale in Iraq and the Arab
> world, and
> show that Iraq is still standing.
>
> The projects also serve to tackle a major problem: unemployment, by creating
> jobs for tens of thousands.
>
> Iraq is not only building palaces. Iraq has reconstructed and repaired every
> building and construction destroyed since 1991, purely relying on Iraqi
> expertise
> and work. Schools (as have been suggested) have also been repaired and
> built, but
> the problem of schools is not only building, but supplies and facilities.
> All bridges, telephone exchanges, hospitals, oil refineries, electrical
> generation plants, etc..have been repaired in as good a way as the
> availability of
> spare parts allow.

Roger Stroope
Peace is a Human Right