[casi] Richard Butler Accuses US Of Nuclear Hypocrisy

'
Thanks again to Rick Rozoff of 'Stop NATO.'

Richard Butler is at least consistent in his inconsistency. A man for all
seasons if ever there was one.f

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/10/03/1033538680140.html

Sydney Morning Herald

Butler accuses US of nuclear hypocrisy
By Gerard Noonan, Education Editor
October 3 2002

-"My attempts to have Americans enter into discussions
about double standards have been an abject failure -
even with highly educated and engaged people," Mr
Butler said. "I sometimes felt I was speaking to them
in Martian, so deep is their inability to understand."
-"What America totally fails to understand is that
their weapons of mass destruction are just as much a
problem as are those of Iraq," he said, adding that
Hollywood storylines fuelled such attitudes.
-"I confess, too, that I flinch when I hear American,
British and French fulminations against weapons of
mass destruction, ignoring the fact that they are the
proud owners of massive quantities of those weapons,
unapologetically insisting that they are essential for
their national security, and will remain so."
-"This is because human beings will not swallow such
unfairness. This principle is as certain as the basic
laws of physics itself."

The former chief weapons inspector in Iraq Richard
Butler has lashed out at United States "double
standards", saying even educated Americans were deaf
to arguments about the hypocrisy of their stance on
nuclear weapons.

Mr Butler, an Australian, told a seminar at the
University of Sydney's Centre for Peace and Conflict
Studies that Americans did not appreciate they could
not claim a right to possess nuclear weapons but deny
it to other nations.

"My attempts to have Americans enter into discussions
about double standards have been an abject failure -
even with highly educated and engaged people," Mr
Butler said. "I sometimes felt I was speaking to them
in Martian, so deep is their inability to understand."

Mr Butler's comments to the seminar, held on
September21, are reported in the university's latest
newsletter.

"What America totally fails to understand is that
their weapons of mass destruction are just as much a
problem as are those of Iraq," he said, adding that
Hollywood storylines fuelled such attitudes.

Mr Butler said the horror of September 11 had only
entrenched the idea in Americans that there are 'good
weapons of mass destruction and bad ones'.

Mr Butler, who headed the United Nations weapons
inspection team in Iraq in the early 1990s, is a
former Australian ambassador for disarmament.

Earlier, delivering the university's Templeton
Lecture, Mr Butler said one of the most difficult
times with the Iraqi regime had been dealing with this
issue of inconsistency.

"Amongst my toughest moments in Baghdad were when the
Iraqis demanded that I explain why they should be
hounded for their weapons of mass destruction when,
just down the road, Israel was not, even though it was
known to possess some 200 nuclear weapons," he said.

"I confess, too, that I flinch when I hear American,
British and French fulminations against weapons of
mass destruction, ignoring the fact that they are the
proud owners of massive quantities of those weapons,
unapologetically insisting that they are essential for
their national security, and will remain so."

Mr Butler said that manifest unfairness - double
standards - produced a situation "that was deeply,
inherently unstable".

"This is because human beings will not swallow such
unfairness. This principle is as certain as the basic
laws of physics itself."

Mr Butler said one problem encountered in Iraq was
that materials and technologies employed in making a
chemical or biological weapon were identical to those
used in a range of benign products for medical,
industrial or agricultural use.

The UN Security Council's decision in 1991 to destroy,
remove or render harmless Iraq's weapons of mass
destruction was unique and far-reaching, far tougher
than past attempts to disarm defeated countries like
Germany and Japan.