Re: [casi] RE: Iraq - Potential Consequences of War

Dear Felicity,
Beautiful words. The situation doesn't look too good for our Iraqi friends.
But there is a lot of solidarity with the Iraqi people, and actions against
the war. That should give us a little hopein these difficult times.
Can I add a letter from Joe Quandt (Voices in the Wilderness) who is in
Baghdad now.
Yours in solidarity and struggle for peace.
Dirk Adriaensens
www.irak.be
You can see Joe Quandt live on this link:
http://www.msnbc.com/local/wnyt/M231364.asp
WE ARE HERE TODAY:  OCTOBER 26, 2002
                            FROM BAGHDAD

                                by Joe Quandt

We are in Washington today to protest the foreign and domestic policies of
our government.
     We are in Baghdad today to protest the foreign and domestic policies of
our government.
     We are in Albany today to protest the foreign and domestic policies of
our government.
     Let us have no illusions.
     In Baghdad, people ask me point blank, "Joe, the war.....when is it
coming?" At 1st,  I thought the question fatalistic. But the 8-year war with
Iran in which 200,000 died, the Gulf War, which took possibly another
300,000, besides wrecking the entire infrastructure, the U.N. sanctions,
which in 12 years have cost them an additional million and a half lives-22
years of sustained economic and military conflict have made Iraqis immune to
illusions, in the matter of war.
     Let us, like the Iraqis, have no illusions.
     I was in the states a month ago when the House of Representatives sold
the birthright of 1776. I was in Baghdad when the Senate followed suit. They
have begun the process of making George II king in all but name. Every day
we watch the extraordinarily creative posturing of the French and Russian
governments, who in the end will cut a handsome deal with our government,
and then think they've done very well for themselves.
     Political activist Ghazwan Al-Muhkti says that U.S. coercion and deal
making is rendering the U.N. irrelevant. Former U.N. head of Iraqi relief
programs Dennis Halliday was even more blunt: "The U.N. is dying."
     Have no illusions; the U.N. is not going to come to the rescue.
     You are here today perhaps because you understand how deeply your civil
rights are being slashed at, and recreated in the image of the New World
Order.
     Or you grasp all too well that U.S. arms sales around the world make
inevitable the endless cycle of big and little wars to come, for the next
hundred years.
     You realize that all future treaties are things of convenience, to be
abrogated when their purpose has been served.
     That the International Criminal Court, the Kyoto Accords, bans on
nuclear and conventional weapon testing, research into alternative energy
sources, all of these are only impediments to the agendas of this
administration.
     That the War on Terrorism is simply a convenient place to focus
American fears now that Communism is dead, and that this war on terrorism,
the war on Afghanistan, the war for the oil of Iraq, are only the opening
gambits in the U.S. bid to secure the fossil fuel reserves of the entire
planet in order that they may dictate terms to the rest of the
industrialized world.
     Ask the shoeshine boys, the art dealers, the cafe operators, the hotel
staff, ask anyone in Iraq why the United States is coming here. They have no
illusions.
     How many countries have been attacked by Iraq in the last 12
years?......................
     How many countries have been attacked by the United States in the last
12 years? In the case of Iraq, it has been on a weekly basis.
     Lives mean nothing to this administration, yours or the Iraqis'. Have
no illusions.
     So why are we here today?

     We are here because we must be.
     We are here because, in the words of Scott Ritter, "There's a drunk at
the wheel, and we've got to get the keys away from him."
     We are here because the right of assembly has not been taken away from
us....yet.
     We are here because our government is ruining the good name of the
American people.
     We are here because we have children.....and parents.....and loved
ones.....and cherished ideals, and everywhere our government drops a bomb,
an Osama bin Laden seed is sown.
     We are here because the answer to war is only more war.
     We are here because we have problems in our schools, in Corporate
America, in our inner cities, problems of violence, ignorance, and greed,
and 100 billion dollars spent on brutalizing our brothers and sisters in
another country would be better spent on our own problems than in
legitimizing the theft of that nation's natural resources, to fill the
pockets of the vultures who are running this country.

     As I wrote this last evening, I watched the sun setting over the Tigris
River. Here, in the Cradle of Civilization, one is, perhaps, more keenly
aware of the historical imprudence of our government's actions.
     We are here today because we must be. Because our hearts tell us that
the clock is ticking, not quite as loudly as it's ticking for the Iraqis,
but time is running out on the American Dream. Have no illusions: An attack
against Iraq will be one of the cataclysmic events in American history, on a
par with The Civil War and the Great Depression, because it will signal to
the world that democratic principals and republican humanism have no more
meaning in the American ethos than they did in Nazi Germany. And to send
that message is to invite a return to barbarism, but on a scale we must
shudder to contemplate.
     We are here today because we believe that the Battle Of Iraq will not
signal the end of civilization as we have dreamt it, but rather, that it
will be but the opening skirmish, for us here today, in the long overdo
American War On Greed.

Thank You