Re: [casi] Iraq - what next?

Dear John
thank you for your humanitarian concern.
I don't know whether your posting is serious or not but, any way I will say
this from Baghdad.

You said <a)  It is important to minimise casualties and think of the Iraqi
people rather than just the oil>
If you want to minimize casualty then DON'T attack for oil or any other
greedy, or phony, pretex. No one can "DEMOCRATIZE" a country by killing
thousands and thousands of people. And then what? Killing thousands and
thousands more because of lack of clean water, electricity, sewage system,
transportation, telephones, hospitals, and .. and refined oil product
because UK,& US will destroy all these facilities, like they did in 1991
only this time much more savagely, in their effort to "liberate" the Iraqis.

Who are you, or Bush, or Blair, to say we Iraqis want to be "liberated" that
way, or in fact any other way? You are NOT an Iraqi to say what we want or
not want. May I suggest that you re-read [casi] News, 13-20/12/02 (4) you
will find out that very few Iraqis want to be "liberated" by Blush daisy
cutters, thermobaric bombs, bunker busters bombs... etc.. These
"humanitarian" instruments of "liberation" and "democratization" does not
prevent people from returning from Jordan and Lebanon to defend their
country and/or their families.

You said <b) It is a bad idea to have an invasion which results in Iraq
ending up being controlled by the US government.  This would be bad both for
Iraq and the rest of  the world (with the knock on effects).>
Are you objecting to this on principle or are you objecting to it because
the British think that Iraq, and the Gulf States should be, like it has
been, in the British sphere of influence?

You said <unless there is a clear strategy that involves US support for an
uprising by the Iraqi people that the US understand can work that they are
likely to go for what they see as the easy option of invading.>
Again did you ask the Iraqi people if they want the uprising or not? You are
assuming that without knowing what the people ON THE GROUND, not at the five
star hotels, think. If you think that the Rolex opposition represent the
people of Iraq you are mistaken. Most of them were at one time or another
instruments of regime, and have bad record,  that you can't change. Don't
tell me John that you don't know the record of the ex-director of the
military intelligence, or the record of the ex-director of psychological
warfare, or that Talabani was an instrument of Saddam fighting Barazani? The
"civilized" west might want to wash their record clean but at the end the
truth can't be buried by you or any other it is a recorded history.

You said <We will be having further meetings with various people (mainly
Iraqis) over the Christmas holiday period.> Wishing you a merry Christmas,
but who is going to pay the bill?

You also Said <We are arguing the case with the Military in the UK that in
the event of a decision for some action to be taken to remove Saddam Hussein
from power the opposition should be given support for an uprising before any
invasion decision.>

"Military in the UK"  why not the foreign office for example? isn't it a
foreign problem!. "remove Saddam Hussein " this is your wish not the Iraqis.
"support for an uprising " I thought that is interference in others affairs
and that is contrary to the UN charter blah blah and will make the UN
irrelevant!

In short John the "civilized west" accused Saddam of killing his people the
"civilized west" killed probably 20 times more people, by war or sanctions,
and are going to kill even more.  The "civilized west" accused Saddam of
"gassing his own people" but the "civilized west" used depleted uranium
which killed thousands of people from cancer and will kill more people for
the next 4.4 billion years. The "civilized west" will use even more DU to
kill people and contaminate the environment. The "civilized west" accused
Saddam of taking hostages but the "civilized west" have been taking 20
million of us hostages for 12 years now and will continue to take us as
hostages until the "civilized west" control the Oil. The "civilized west"
accused Saddam of denying us our political rights but the "civilized west"
is denying the people of Iraq every other rights including to live without
fear of being attacked by your "humanitarian" instrument of "democratization
and liberation", i.e. B-52, B-1, daisy cutters, thermobaric bombs, bunker
busters bombs.. The "civilized" west accused Saddam that his non-compliance
with UN resolution might make the UN irrelevant. Looking at the history of
the UN it is the "civilized" west that made the UN irrelevant and your
suggestion to "support for an uprising" makes the UN even more irrelevant!

I do thank you again for your humanitarian concern about the plight of the
Iraqi people. I think, and I know better than you, that the majority of
"barbaric" Iraqis will resist your "civilized" solution to the Iraqi
problem. After all you are not an Iraqi and you have no voice in shaping the
future of Iraq.

Wishing you a merry christmas and a happy new year.

Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
Baghdad, Iraq