Re: [casi] targeting of water treatment facilities

Thanks to Andrew for this. I would emphasise that bomb damage to
sewage/water plants does not prove intent to attack such targets. A
large proportion of bombs dropped land off target. My understanding of
GWAPS is that attacks on sewage/water plants would not have been
omitted from discussion due to sensitivity. It would be helpful if Ruth
would say what GWAPS DOES say about sewage/water plants (eg that it had
been decided that they should not be attacked directly). Of course, the
overall effect was the same...

Eric

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:28:29 +0000 Andrew Goreing <amg@newnham.org>
wrote:

> Does anyone have any further evidence on the following?
>
> I read Ruth Blakeley's message (23 Jan, Re: [casi] Dual crisis looms for
> millions in Iraq) with interest and followed up her paper Bomb Now, Die
> Later (available at http://www.civilwarfare.co.uk/)
>
> According to Ruth the GWAPS (Gulf War Air Power Surveys) provides no
> evidence that sewage treatment or water purification plants were targeted by
> the 1991 allied air campaign. She discounts the report of Ramsey Clark that
>
> "In all areas we visited, and all other areas reported to us, municipal
> water processing plants, pumping stations and even reservoirs have been
> bombed".
>
> Presumably the sentence she quotes from the 1996 WHO report that refers to
>
> "the extensive destruction of electrical generating plants,
> water-purification and sewage treatment plants during the six-week 1991
> war..."
>
> does not in her view provide evidence that Allied forces actually bombed
> such plants.
>
> Obviously, the Allied assault on the Iraqi electrical power infrastructure
> plus the subsequent years of sanctions severely harmed the water
> purification system. Probably no-one on the list is in any doubt about that.
> But is there persuasive evidence that water-treatment plants were actually
> bombed?
>
> Obvious issues --
>
> Were there undisputed reports of HE damage at such plants?
>
> Could such damage have come from Iraqi ordnance?
>
> The GWAPS happily admits to intentional destruction of the electrical
> system; however admission of attacks on water facilities (had there been
> any) would be a rather more sensitive matter, one would have thought.
>
> Andrew Goreing

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics