Re: [casi] targeting of water treatment facilities (BIS)

Thanks to Dirk for his remarks.

He brings our attention to the Harvard Study Team report, the Aga Khan's
report, and the report of SOS IRAK. All of these (like other witnesses)
refer to "damage" and "destruction" of water-treatment installations.

Nobody disagrees with this; just like nobody disagrees with the idea that
the electrical system was deliberately targeted, with an inevitable effect
on water purification etc.

But the reports don't seem to help us work out 1) just how extensive the
specific damage to water-treatment installations was, or 2) how
"intentional" it was. (Of course "intentionality" is not necessarily a
simple concept).

He also says

> I witnessed these intentional destructions myself when I was in
> Iraq in july 1992, but that of course cannot be considered as serious
> evidence.

His eye-witness testimony is just as serious as anyone else's; but it cannot
help us decide how "intentional" it was without further evidence. The
evidence may be there to find, but it may need a lot of study of all the
available reports, and further investigations.

List members have surely noted the report from CBS (posted by
SPREWELLAIEC5MI@aol.com on 25 Jan) titled "Iraq Faces Massive U.S. Missile
Barrage" in which the battle concept of "Shock and Awe" is explicated by one
of its authors, security expert Harlan Ullman (who could be seen on
Newsnight last night or the night before).

"You're sitting in Baghdad and all of a sudden you're the general and 30 of
your division headquarters have been wiped out. You also take the city
down... By that I mean you get rid of their power, water."

Andrew Goreing