[casi] Iraq water supply - letter to Tony Blair

Dear list members

Thank you for all the information/ discussion on water treatment in Iraq
- it has been most enlightening.  I just found out that 2003 is the UN
Year of Freshwater - which seems particularly relevant, especially
running up to 22 March, World Water Day.

all best
Cathy Aitchison

-----
Right Honourable Tony Blair, MP
10 Downing Street
London

Dear Mr Blair

Iraq's water system

I write to express my concern at the damage which may be caused to the
infrastructure in Iraq if we go to war.  I am particularly concerned
about the water system, already badly damaged during the 1991 Gulf War
(and since then by sanctions) and the bad effect this will have for many
years on the health of Iraqi people, especially children.

As I'm sure you are aware, 2003 is the UN Year of Freshwater, and 22
March is World Water Day.  In the light of this, I would be grateful if
you could answer the following questions:

- What will you as UK Prime Minister be doing to held help restore fresh
water to Iraq on 22 March and during 2003?

- If the UK is at war with Iraq on 22 March, what steps will you as
Prime Minister take on that day to ensure that the UK does not
contravene the spirit of the UN General Comment on water as a human
right, signed in Geneva on 27 November 2002?

Yours sincerely

Cathy Aitchison