Re: [casi] ... And why I will not

Dear Roger, Mohammed Ali, and List,

> I would hope that those of you who critique the antiwar,
> propeace movement as a single entity would knock it off.
> We are not some monolithic entity and your suggestion that
> we are missing the human rights issues in the countries
> concerned is an example of a general lack of insight. And
> as to the claims that this movement stems from
> "embarrassment" I don't even know how to respond to this.

Thank you for saying that, Roger. I'd even go a little
further than you.

It seems CASI is being infiltrated by all sorts of people:
Admonitions are being submitted by United States Air Force
personnel, the 'we demand' Iraqi Progress Opposition, and
whoever else is annoyed by peace sentiments expressed
by CASI members.

And now a lengthy "analysis" by Mohammed Ali who is "Iraqi
by birth, a Kurd by ethnicity and British by residence".
He talks about the "anti-sanctions and anti-war camp" and
graciously allows that "not everyone in this camp is
necessarily an apologist of the Iraqi regime".
Muchas gracias, Mr. Ali!

"War is simply diplomacy by other means", ventures Mr. Ali.
He is entitled to this truism. But it isn't CASI's mandate
to discuss the pros and cons of war. CASI is dedicated to
the lifting of sanctions - and by extension the elimination
of war. So CASI is committed to peace... until it changes
its mandate.

For that reason missionary work for war seems inappropriate,
even by someone who is "Iraqi by birth".

CASI was born out compassion, I believe. So members
are united in this sentiment. Nationality, ethnicity,
residence, religion, political affiliation, etc. are irrelevant.
As the fox said to the little Prince, "it is only with the
heart that one can see rightly; what is important is
invisible to the eye". I like to think that CASI members
agree with the fox.

So please, Mr. Ali, et al, if you are tempted to criticize
CASI members for peace sentiments, DON'T. They are only
following their heart.

United in peace,
Elga Sutter