Re: [casi] Query on incitement to mutiny

Dear Chris & List,

Yours truly is even less of a lawyer than you are, Chris. Still, even a
layman might provide some clues. - During the 1970's, soldiers of the
British Army were sent to ?serve in Northern Ireland. This was opposed by
some. A dozen or so people, who used leafleting, perhaps also verbal
influence, to persuade some soldiers about the error of their ways,  were
taken to Court, for a trial which lasted for several months. The Prosecution
claiming Conspiracy (which I believe means "breathing together"), the very
alleged thought of a crime could be, legally, considered far worse than
actually committing a crime (allegedly). The anti-militarists were all tried
under a notorious "Incitement to Disaffection Act",  which has, as far as I
know, ever since been collecting dust on some legal library shelf. Anyway,
apart from one or two minor charges against one chap in the group (he
recieved a minor fine), the main charges were dropped. And, unless anyone
knows differently, they all lived happily ever after. - As for
mutiny/desertion in war-time, doesn't military law, in some cases, allow for
the death penalty?

Greetings,

Bert G.