Re: [casi] Request for information!

http://www.albawaba.com/news/index.php3?sid=245183&lang=e&dir=news
 Cheney daughter - human shield in Baghdad
25-03-2003, 12:34

The London based Arabic daily Al Quds Al Arabi reported on Tuesday, March 25
that the American vice president, Dick Cheney, would soon head to the
Jordanian capital, Amman.

The newspaper claimed that the visit would be an attempt by Cheney to
convince his daughter, who was in the Jordanian capital, to back down her
decision to go to Baghdad within a group of volunteers who want to form
human shields against the US led attacks on Iraq.

Al Quds Al Arabi cited news reports it claimed circulating in Amman as
saying that Cheney would arrive in the Jordanian capital soon on a special
visit it described as having a "social mission." "News agencies cited
sources as saying that Cheney will arrive in Amman next Friday. He will try
to convince his daughter who is currently staying at a hotel in Amman not to
go to Baghdad along with a group of volunteers who want to go to Iraq and
form human shields against the Anglo American attacks," said the report.

Some sons of western officials have already volunteered as human shields in
Iraq against the American invasion, including the son of the Canadian
Foreign Minister, Bill Graham

Although not mentioned in the the Arabic newspaper, it is likely refers to
Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney. Mary, 34,
is a lesbian, and she has not kept her homosexuality a secret -- either to
her friends or to her employer, Coors Brewing Co., where she was the gay and
lesbian corporate relations manager.

The controversy around Mary has emerged in the US media during her father's
vice presidential campaign during 2000. During that time, Mary told Time
magazine in some of her few public words to date, "I love my father. I don't
want to be a distraction."

However, when Lynne Cheney was asked about her daughter being openly gay,
Mrs. Cheney said her daughter is "bright" and "hard-working" and "decent,"
and yes, she loves her.

Now, after the war started, it seems there are not just political but also
financial reasons for Mr. Cheney's strong support for the raids on Iraq.
When it comes to making money from a war in Iraq, few can match the
firepower of the company once headed by Dick Cheney, Reuters reported.

Houston-based Halliburton Co. can build roads and bridges and camps for US
forces. It can transport personnel and provide other logistics. And after
the war, assuming a U.S. victory, it can help restore Iraq's infrastructure
and oil production.

At the same time, the company's oilfield services business, which is second
only to Schlumberger Ltd., is likely to supply most of the heavy equipment
to fight fires in oil wells and oil fields.

And should the U.S. emerge victorious, Halliburton -- which develops oil
fields and drills for oil all over the world -- has the connections and
businesses to play a major role in "rebuilding" Iraq.

"They have the businesses. They have the government relationship already
well-established, and, as we all know, Cheney was the CEO, so it makes
logical sense," said Denis Walsh, an equity analyst who covers the energy
sector for State Street Research and Management.

For all these reasons, one should not be surprised that the American VP will
hurry to Amman and try to bring his "rebellious" daughter back
home....(Albawaba.com)

pg, nyc