Re: [casi] Images from Iraq..

Dear Fay,

like you, i used to bother myself about the ethical validity
of publishing terrifying images like these. sometimes i
think that it is unethical since the images are so
terrifying and ugly, and at least i probably have to get
permission first from the victims or their families.
sometimes i talk to myself that "no no no...it's not
unethical at all.  on the contrary, it's just plain
hypocritical of people to remove the horror in reality
simply by removing the horrific pictures from tv screen or
newspapers."

i still have no definite answer to this dilemma, and my own
ambivalence prevents me from accusing any individual person
of being hypocritical or inconsiderate.  but i do think that
it is disgustingly hypocritical of any media or person who
claims to be civilized by insisting that it is morally wrong
to circulate war images like these when he or she,
explicitly or implicitly, favours the war.

i feel very sad when i saw these photos; how can we claim to
be civilized when we treat human beings like this?  isn't it
TOO civilized to shield ourselves from the horrific reality
by closing our eyes or deleting disturbing scenes from tv
screen?

it seems to me that things that are too civilized not only
take away from the reality that many actually live in but
also take away our humanity.  we are TOO civilized; as a
so-called educated man or woman, we've been taught to mask
our despair and rage, to deny the disturbing reality that we
actually face in our lives.

having said these, i am not encouraging people to circulate
photos like these; i just want to say it is not necessarily
wrong to do so. i've already done it but i don't think i am
wrong.

just a few thoughts and would like to share them with you
all.

regards,

emir chen