[casi] Ali Ismail Eedan

He had wanted to be a doctor...

<START FWD>
From: pattrice le-muire jones <pattrice[AT]bravebirds.org>

Please read and forward this eyewitness account from
Baghdad, which reached the USA via media satellite email.
I verify that it and the letter that accompanied it are in
the writing style of the signed author, Italian activist
and journalist Marinella Correggia, who asked me to
distribute it.
--Pattrice Jones

ALI ISMAIL EEDAN, A SYMBOL OF THIS DIRTY CRIMINAL WAR
By Marinella Correggia in Baghdad

via Pattrice Jones (pattrice@bravebirds.org), to whom
correspondence for Marinella may be directed

Ali Ismail Eedan, a symbol of this dirty criminal war
against the Iraqi people, a war which violates every
international law...

I am writing this from Baghdad at 11 p.m. of April 4th
2003. I am in a small hotel near the Tigri with the Iraq
Peace Team and outside I don't know if it is missiles
(American bombs incoming?) or artillery, anyway the sound
is different than the other night. The Americans are very
near.

We have no more light since yesterday: They bombed the
electrical plant. But before the light from generator is
cut, let me tell you the story of Ali Ismail whom I met
this morning. I hope this story can go out through some
satellites of journalists and through Pattrice who
receives it from me.

Please circulate the name of Ali

Ali is in a bed in Al Kindi hospital in Baghdad. Two
houses were hit by a Bush missile and the fires burned
alive 12 members of his family (mother, father, all the
brothers, and other relatives). The sister of his mother
is alive as she was not there, and she is now all the time
with him. He is fully conscious. He has no more arms, and
a black burned belly.

Seeing Ali means that for all your life you will not get
his image out of your head. He is 12 years old. He is so
handsome with big eyes, and that makes a huge contrast
with what remains of him. The rest of him is devastated
and, if he survives, he will have to do with that for all
his life.

See: his two arms were burned like two branches of a tree
in a fire, and were amputated very high near the
shoulders. His belly and stomach are completely black
burned; the sheets cannot touch him of course, so
something like a wooden bridge is put under the sheets to
keep it far from him... Every day the doctors remove a
part of the skin and replace with some skin from the legs.
But that means a high risk of infections.

As the doctors said I would not disturb him, but that his
image would disturb me, I choose to enter anyway to meet
him (and it is true that his image disturbs me all the
time now). I thought, "I want to meet his eyes... will I
be able to give him some love and energy?" I think that
was not the result, but the result is that now my mission
is to make his symbolic case out out out of Iraq. I wish
someone would be able to reach any American soldier in
Iraq with his case.

I told him Salaam Aleicum and he answered politely. I just
looked at him. He many times looks at his gone arms and
that is why I told the doctor to tell him that he after
the war will have new arms from Italy, artificial ones
very good. I don't know if that helped; his Aunty said
Inshallah. The doctor Muftaz, who is wonderful as are many
doctors here -- they are so dedicated and so astonished by
Bush's aims -- translated and also very kindly tried to
distract Ali's attention by telling him about Italy, shape
of a boot and he said yes, he knows about Italy. But I
found so ridiculous to tell a child about artificial
arms...How can it help him? What to tell him that could
make any difference to his condition?

Ali is asking all the time about his mother and father and
family. The doctors tell him that they have broken legs
they are in another hospital and they cannot come right
now. Doctor Muftaz says that Ali is very brave, he does
not complain very much about his pain but he is always
looking at his moving pieces of arms and his black belly.

At least they have up to now enough analgesics but they
don't yet give the strong ones like morphine because he
may need it for the future when the pain will become more
intense. But I heard that in hospitals in other cities
there is already a shortage of supplies due to the number
of injured, and imagine what happens to the children like
Ali there.

When we walked up in the corridor of the hospital we met a
man Jihad Said Obeid who was coming from Al Suera, a place
about 180 km away from Baghdad. He had a relative in that
hospital but on March 30th it was hit by pieces of missile
which aimed to destroy the nearby telecommunication
center. He knows one person who died from that. It is
against Geneva convention both to bomb a telecommunication
center (not a military target) and to bomb it if there is
a chance to hit an hospital nearby. One more war crime
among many here.

All these things are against Geneva Convention for the
protection of civilians. When we just got out of Ali's
room, in the "garden" of the hospital, we saw an old lady
crying under her black dress. Telib, the Iraqi who
accompanies us, asked what happened. The lady was crying
because few hours before a missile hit near Mustansirya
University and killed her daughter, who was a bride.

Marinella Correggia
Italian peace activist
Iraq Peace Team
Baghdad, April 4th, 2003