[casi] Where does Bush stand with the sanctions?

Dear Jiale and List,

This seems to be your question, Jiale, or
something along that line.

To the extent that George can do anything, lifting
the sanctions may indeed be a mere technicality,
as you point out. All the same, the sanctions,
though instigated by the US, have been imposed by
the UN. And if George goes ahead and declares them
null and void unilaterally, he may be hoisting himself
by his own petards... I think. Perhaps it's for that
reason that he has actually asked for a lifting.

So while the sanctions are still on, there can be
no deals (big or small) legally, I imagine. But
I am no legal expert.

As to the "suspicious stance" anti-sanction
campaigners seem to be taking on the lifting,
there have been discussions on CASI quite recently.
Several people have made some excellent points why
the sanctions should be kept for the time being - in
the interest of the Iraqi people.

Perhaps you'll find answers in those discussions.

Best regards,
Elga Sutter