Re: [casi] The Sweeney returns: J'accuse .....

>And then there=B9s the =8CHiroshima effect=B9 of depleted >uranium.
>Pilger wrote in the Daily Mirror just before the war, >Depleted uranium
[is] a sinister component of tank shells >and airborne missiles. In
truth, it is a form of
>nuclear warfare, and all the evidence suggests that its

We should remember that DU is also a chemical weapon, being, at the
least, one of the heavy metals, and like lead or mercury should be
expected to produce terrible effects in young children, neonates, and
fetuses (who are especially susceptible to any sort of disturbance).
While uranium in the atomic bombs was measured in pounds and created
radioactive fallout, DU was dropped in tons and is significant
chemically, as well as radioactively.

Any who wish to blame the Americans for the birth defects can also note
that the US was instrumental in Saddam's use of the other chemical
weapons also (with Rumsfeld in the thick of it).

>Hang on a minute. Cancers don't happen overnight. They >develop after a
latency period of at least four years.

Hmmm... Is this true? If it takes four years to get a cancer how do
children younger than four develop it? What about cancer in lab animals
like mice, which are quite young? Mice, I suppose, metabolize faster, but
so do babies. This is one reason why prostrate cancer is less dangerous
than it might be: it's common among the old, and for that reason develops
more slowly, I have heard. Is anyone keeping track of how many older
Iraqis are developing cancers which take more time?

Are we talking about birth defects, malignancies, or non-malignant
tumors? I expect we need some good scientific research in a non-political
atmosphere, and will require at the least a stabilization in Iraq,
re-equipping hospitals and biological laboratories -- and paying the
doctors would be nice too. But let's meet the current crises now.