[casi] FWD: RE: [DU-WATCH] Child Victims of War - ammended email contact

Dear list,
In a previous post, I suggested this list also be on the
DU watch list. Here is a post from that list today, about
a new project, with advice from attorney Karen Parker,
thanks, Philippa

>===== Original Message From ied@igc.org =====
Thanks Davey. I note that the project will assist in claims at the European
Court of Human Rights. This will only help those injured by combatants from
States Parties to the Council of Europe. However, there may be children who
have a claim against the United States. Those children could petition the
Organization of American States (OAS)if there is no possibilty for judicial
action in the US. And also please note that claims at both the European Court
and OAS must meet the "exhaustion of domestic remedies" requirement. Thus,
claimants would have to file in a Council of Europe member country's courts or
in the US first and have been "denied". For Europe, I'm assuming the UK -- as
neither Spain nor Italy (Poland?? or others) had any combat forces. There are
ways of excusing the "exhaustion" requirements -- which could probably be
invoked in these cases. But this will require experienced solicitors and
barristers (and US attorneys) in these matters. No easy task. I have been
involved in at least 6 cases (all at least somewhat successful) in both forums
and understand how difficult this is. Four of these cases have involved
humanitarian law in conjuction with human rights law. In fact I have a current
case at the OAS on a "humanitarian law/human rights" issue -- but not on this
particular point. There are a number of experienced attorneys in the UK on
these issues, so they would be most usefully involved. Please contact me off
line for their contacts. All the best. Karen Parker