[casi] Kelly predicted death in woods

Kelly predicted death in woods

David Kelly predicted he would be "found dead in the woods" if Iraq was
invaded, months before his apparent suicide, the Hutton Inquiry has heard.

The weapons inspector slashed his wrist at a beauty spot after being
revealed as the source for BBC claims that intelligence on Iraq had been
"sexed up" in the run-up to war.

Dr Kelly had expected to remain anonymous after meeting BBC journalist
Andrew Gilligan, the inquiry heard this morning.

Foreign Office official David Broucher said Dr Kelly had made what he
thought to be the throwaway remark in February. Mr Broucher said he met the
weapons expert in Geneva.

Dr Kelly had told him that continued inspections "properly carried out would
give a degree of certainty about compliance" with UN disarmament demands.

"He said he had tried to reassure them that if they cooperated with the
weapons inspections, they had nothing to fear," Mr Broucher said.

"My impression was that he felt he was in some personal difficulty or
embarrassment about this because he felt the invasion might go ahead anyway
and somehow it was putting him in a morally ambiguous situation."

Mr Broucher added: "As David Kelly was leaving, I said to him 'what do you
think will happen if Iraq is invaded?'. "His reply was, which at the time I
took to be a throwaway remark, he said 'I will probably be found dead in the
woods'."

Story filed: 15:46 Thursday 21st August 2003

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_811650.html?menu=news.politics