Re: [casi] Appeal for the release of Dr. Mrs. Huda Ammash; a call to women Worldwide

hi all,
we are doing our best to help oue friend Dr. Huda Ammash. this a story on her and other Iraqi
scientists I wrote and published in Ahram weekly, the last issue.
regards

   21 - 27 August 2003
Issue No. 652
Region Current issue

Between a rock and a hard place
Scientists in Iraq are coming under intensified scrutiny from coalition authorities frustrated by
their inability to uncover any weapons of mass destruction, writes Nermeen Al-Mufti from Baghdad

Where are those weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) in Iraq which provided the convenient pretext
for invading Iraq? Now that Tony Blair has admitted in front of the British Parliament the
difficulty of finding WMDs in Iraq, the Bush administration is quietly shifting the emphasis from
finding the elusive WMDs themselves to searching for more circumstantial evidence regarding Iraq's
WMD programme.

This change in strategy means that the Americans are finally convinced that there are no WMDs
currently in Iraq, but still they must find a face-saving formula. The growing witch hunt for Iraqi
scientists should be perceived within this context. One such maligned scientists is Dr Huda Ammash,
labelled by the Pentagon as "Mrs Anthrax", arrested on 3 May and accused of developing biological
weapons.

Her husband Dr Ahmed Makki said in an interview with Al-Ahram Weekly that in 1994 Ammash received
the Shoman Prize for Young Arab Scientists, awarded to a single scientist no older than 40, and
given out by one of the most prestigious independent Arab institutes. Makki believes that this
testifies to the public, benign nature of her scientific research, while Scott Ritter and others
have reported that Iraq was devoid of any biological weapons programmes. He feels that Ammash was
arrested for political reasons, seeing as she had co-authored a damning study on the lingering,
carcinogenic side effects on soldiers and civilians of the depleted uranium shells that were used
in Iraq in 1991. Whatever the reason, Ammash is still in the airport detention camp, the place
Iraqis refer to as Guantanamo.

Meanwhile, many Iraqi scientists and university professors are reporting endless harassment by the
American forces and intelligence apparatuses. An Iraqi scientist under investigations by the
coalition forces who preferred to stay anonymous said: "First a team led by Colonel Robert Cadlack
called the Scientific Assessment Team interviewed us at Baghdad University.... After a while, the
team was replaced by a Pentagon team, and the interviews became interrogations. Then the team was
changed again, this time it was a CIA team. After the anthrax investigation, they moved to
smallpox. They refuse to understand that we are biologists and such weapons needed virologists. And
despite the fact that our labs for the past decade had been under continuous monitoring, they still
act as if they don't know anything."

Moreover, many scientists now are afraid of being abruptly imprisoned without access to family,
friends and legal aid. Armed plainclothes Americans seized Dr Alice Krikore, the head of the
biotechnology department in Baghdad University from her office. She disappeared for two weeks and
nobody knew her whereabouts. After her eventual release, it transpired that she had been detained
and interrogated in the airport. Dr Hazim Al-Rawi of Baghdad University's Medical School is still
under arrest, denied all visitors, including family members. Al-Rawi had been interrogated in his
house several times before he was arrested. Dr Anton Sabri, of the School of Veterinary Medicine
arrested a week ago, is still under arrest. And while the search for evidence of any WMD programme
continues, most Iraqi scientists are now afraid of being arrested.

A prominent Iraqi scientist who preferred to remain anonymous said: "The Americans tried financial
incentives first, now they are using detention to force scientists to give information. The irony
in all this is that many scientists were not hostile to the idea of being interviewed by foreign
experts, the humiliation of the arrests, and the witch hunt will surely turn them against those who
want to solicit their cooperation."

To add insult to injury, the Iraqi Interim Governing Council has not uttered a word against this
witch hunt. And many Iraqis now feel that when the new academic year begins, Iraqi universities
will have lost most of its senior teaching staff -- if not for their alleged involvement in the
WMDs programme, then as victims of the deba'athification programme.

--- Subscribe to Al-Ahram Weekly ---
© Copyright Al-Ahram Weekly. All rights reserved

Comment  Recommend  Printer-friendly