re: [1] American media on Iraq [2] Iraq's calutrons

Hello, all. In response to Colin's responses:

1. Garfield's numbers were definitely reported in the newspaper in early
98. Perhaps he didn't actually publish the paper until later -- I didn't
check that, since the newspaper coverage was what mattered. I guess I
assumed the paper came out before the newspaper coverage, but that's of
course not always the case.

2. My intention was to show that the initial revelations were not covered,
not to look at coverage of the subsequent release. Since Tom first brought
it to the attention of people early in 2000, I chose 2000. However, given
that I only saw it in October 2000, I probably should have included the
first several months of 2001. Good point.

3. I didn't want to go into detail about what the 1051 list is, so I used
the phrase "in practice." My understanding is that the U.S. representative
has for years treated the 1051 list as a list of banned items, even though
it's not intended to be.

An embarrassing slip Colin didn't mention -- I pulled the Albright quote
from someone's website, and didn't note that the text said "U.S. sanctions"
instead of "U.N. sanctions." Oddly, someone has already written to me to
point that out.

Thanks for the praise, Colin.

In solidarity,

Rahul Mahajan