Re: [casi] "Iraq: The Missing Billions" report

Peter,
The IAMB has now been set up - the terms of reference are at
http://www.imf.org/external/country/irq/eng/2003/iamb/102103.htm

Looking at them, it seems that the IAMB has managed to carve itself out a
certain level of independence. A couple of the worst bits of the CPA's
proposals have been removed (they wanted to appoint the first chair, and
also 5 non-voting members), and the IAMB is getting its own secretariat
(before, it looked as though the IAMB would have been reliant on the CPA
for administrative support). However

 - the CPA will select auditors for the DFI (though the IAMB can reject
them)

 - there are requirements that the IAMB 'consult' with the CPA before
acting in certain areas. How that plays out will, I suppose, depend on the
relative power of the US vs. the international community in Iraq: it could
be ignored (if the CPA is weak) or become very important

I'm sure that several list members know more about this that I do -
any comments?

Dan