Article by Madeleine Albright

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:40:42 -0400 (EDT)

     The following lies, threats, racist imagery, etc. are from Albright's
OpEd piece in yesterday's New York Times.  Letters to the editor are
critically needed  (letters@nytimes.com).

     August 17, 1998

               The U.S. Will Stand Firm on Iraq, No
               Matter What

               By MADELEINE K. ALBRIGHT

                    At the end of gulf war, conventional wisdom had it that
     Saddam Hussein would not last six months. Unfortunately, conventional
     wisdom was wrong and we have had to live and deal with the
     consequences ever since. For seven years, we have successfully
     contained Saddam by maintaining the toughest multilateral sanctions in
     history, while the United Nations special commission on arms
     inspections, or Unscom, has managed to find and destroy many of
     Saddam's missiles and weapons of mass destruction.

                    Periodically, Saddam rattles his cage, hoping that by
     provoking a crisis he can wear away at the will of the international
     community while we either stop paying attention or end up spending our
     precious defense dollars dispatching and recalling our forces. We will
     keep our eye on the ball: the threat to our national interests posed
     by Iraq. We will decide how and when to respond to Iraq's actions,
     based on the threat they pose to Iraq's neighbors, to regional
     security and to U.S. vital interests.

                    Our assessment will include Saddam's capacity to
     reconstitute, use or threaten to use weapons of mass destruction. In
     considering our response, we have ruled nothing out, including the use
     of force. We have reconfigured our forces in the gulf so that we can
     react swifly and forcefully when necessary.

               In the meantime, Saddam's decision to suspend cooperation
     with the International Atomic Energy Agency and U.N. special
     commission violates the agreement he reached with Secretary General
     Kofi Annan less than six months ago and represents a direct challenge
     to Security Council authority. This is a confrontation between Iraq
     and the United Nations. It is therefore up to Mr. Annan and the
     Security Council to make sure that Saddam reverses course and
     cooperates with Unscom. And if they fail to persuade him to back down,
     we will have laid the foundation for taking our own decisive action.

               Supporting Unscom is at the heart of our efforts to prevent
     Saddam Hussein from threatening his neighborhood, and the United
     States has always been its strongest backer. Because the U.N. special
     commission has been so effective in disarming Iraq, despite Iraq's
     elaborate efforts to hide and lie about its weapons of mass
     destruction programs, Saddam has sought to discredit the organization.
     Unfortunately, while this is patently untrue, some in the Security
     Council have lent support to this effort.

               We have taken the opposite approach, staunchly defending
     Unscom and its chairman, Richard Butler. We have supported his conduct
     of intrusive inspections while seeking to insure that Saddam was not
     able to exploit this effort to the disadvantage of the U.N. inspection
     team in the Security Council. Since the last crisis, Unscom has in fact
     been very effective. It has carried out a range of inspection
     activities, some of which turned up very serious evidence that Saddam
     has still not accounted for many undeclared chemical warheads. Other
     evidence demonstrated that Iraq had weaponized deadly VX gas, directly
     contradicting Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz's claims to have fully
     disclosed Iraq's weapons-of-mass-destruction programs.

               This month, Unscom had intended to follow up with some
     particularly intrusive inspections, which he supported. However, when
     Iraq suspended all inspections on Aug. 4, it was clear to us that
     Saddam Hussein had done something which even his backers in the
     Security Council could not defend. It was in that context that I
     consulted with Mr. Butler who came to his own conclusion that it was
     wiser to keep the focus on Iraq's open defiance of the Security
     Council. Had Unscom gone ahead with the intrusive inspections, they
     would have been blocked anyway, but that would have allowed some in
     the Security Council to muddy the  waters by claiming again that
     Unscom had provoked Iraq.

               Our purpose now is to get the Security Council to face up to
     its responsibilities to the U.N. special commission and the
     International Atomic Energy Agency. These organizations have been
     clearly mandated by the Council to carry out the necessary measures to
     disarm Iraq of its weapons of mass destruction and missile delivery
     systems. If the Council fails to persuade Saddam to resume
     cooperation, then we will have a free hand to use other means to
     support Unscom's mandate.

               Let's be clear: what Saddam Hussein really wants is to have
     sanctions lifted while retaining his residual
     weapons-of-mass-destruction capabilities. We will not allow him to
     achieve these objectives. As long as Saddam refuses to comply with the
     Security Council resolutions, the comprehensive sanctions on Iraq will
     remain in place.

               This denies Saddam one of his most urgent objectives: to
     regain control of Iraq's revenues so he can reconstitute his ability
     to threaten his neighbors.  His lack of cooperation with Unscom may
     delay the day when Iraq is fully disarmed. But this same lack of
     cooperation will also help us insure that the sanctions are
     maintained, thereby doing much to prevent Saddam from rearming Iraq.

               Some will argue, as they did in the last crisis, that this
     imposes an inhumane burden on the Iraqi people who are not to blame
     for Saddam's behavior. But this time, Iraqis are benefiting from the
     expansion of the "oil for food" arrangements which are now insuring
     that every Iraqi receives a daily ration basket equivalent to the
     recommended caloric intake of the average American.

               Under this arrangement, however, Saddam is denied access to
     the oil revenues. Instead, the money is escrowed in a U.N. account,
     and released only for supplies approved by the U.N. sanctions
     committee.

               In short, Saddam may be rattling his cage again, but he has
     no way to  break out of it. Through his latest actions he has thrown
     away the key and only helped us to keep his cage in place. One way or
     the other, his latest effort to blackmail the international community
     into accepting his false claims of compliance will not be allowed to
     succeed.

               Madeleine K. Albright is the Secretary of State.

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html