Re: US MISSILE MISSED IRAQ

I do remember reading about it, in small print somewhere. Someone also
said later that Iran had been advised not to make too much noise about it.
I wasn't particularly surprised about the inaccurate bomb, and the
subsequent fact of Iran being advised not to make too much noise (though I
can't attest to the latter, because I didn't see it written down). In 1990
CNN presented the war as a vast computer game, and it was so successful as
coverage that in India pirated video tapes of missiles hitting targets
were being sold illegally. When later news of civilian casualties began to
filter in, many people who had seen the videos refused to believe it - on
the screen it all looked so clinical.

I find it significant that this isn't big news - but most of the press is
quite servile to the government line. In 1990, I also remember hearing
that a US diplomat had given out that Iraq had been given the impression
by US diplomatic sources that the US would have no major objections to
Iraq's invading Kuwait. These bits and pieces are conveniently suppressed.
Or placed next to the food column on page 83 of the advertising
supplement.

Can anyone confirm the bit about the US diplomat in 1990? It was
significant enough, I seem to remember, for various people to have to deny
it.

Ben Zachariah.